Software Development EngineerVernon Hills, Illinois, Novi, Michigan Job ID: R-3507-2021
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
About the Role
The candidate shall be responsible for the development of software components of Harman's Connected Car solution for multiple customers. The job entails the estimation and execution of software development tasks in a large software development program in the IoT space. The candidate shall be responsible for understanding groomed requirements, High-level design generated by architects, and execution of all SDLC tasks of one or more components of the software solution such that timely delivery of release to a customer is achieved. The job may include interfacing directly with the customer’s technical team(s).
What You Will Do
- Candidate shall be responsible for technical code delivery to a specific Ignite customer from inception through completion.
- Candidate shall drive the Delivery and Integration phases and be proactive in interfacing with required stakeholders to avoid any delivery impact.
- Candidate shall be a very strong Core JAVA developer with clear concepts of Object-Oriented programming and strong design skills.
- Candidate shall be familiar with the development and CI/CD tools such as Eclipse, Jenkins, Static analysis tools & test coverage tools like SonarQube, Maven, Git/Gerrit, SVN
- Candidate shall be familiar with the development of REST APIs and Microservices
- Candidate shall be familiar with the use of NoSQL databases such as MongoDB etc
- Candidate shall be familiar with Spring, Springboot.
- Candidate should be familiar with cloud-based (Preferably AWS) architecture and deployments.
- Candidates with experience in Big Data and Analytics platforms especially those that use frameworks like Kafka, MQTT, etc would be preferred
- Candidate shall be responsible for creating a detailed WBS for each release and tracking the tasks outlined for each release
- Candidate shall be responsible for ensuring adherence to agile processes in their management scope and collection of metrics that determine the health index of the program.
What You Need
- Candidate should have 3 to 5 years experience in relevant domain with a minimum of 2 years of experience in backend cloud applications.
- Candidate should be a B.Tech/B.E/M.Tech or equivalent
- Candidate’s primary domain of expertise should be Cloud-based applications & Enterprise-scale applications
- Candidate should be familiar with deployments on at least one cloud platform like AWS, Azure, or Ali Cloud. AWS experience would be a plus
What is Nice to Have
- Candidate should have experience with applications developed using Core JAVA and frameworks such as Spring, Hibernate, Springboot, Web servers like Tomcat
- Candidate should be familiar with Microservices architecture and deployment of REST-based APIs for use by 3rd party applications.
- Candidate should be familiar with configuration management, development & test environments used for the development of JAVA-based applications.
- Candidate should have worked in programs where applications are deployed in Cloud infrastructure.
What Makes You Eligible
- Willingness to travel.
- Willingness to work in any Harman or client office location.
- Successfully complete a background investigation and drug screen as a condition of employment
What We Offer
- Access to employee discounts on world-class HARMAN/Samsung products (JBL, Harman Kardon, AKG, etc.)
- The inclusive and diverse work environment that fosters and encourages career development opportunities
- Flexible work schedule with a culture encouraging work-life integration and collaboration in a global environment
- On-site opportunities to focus on personal well-being and development such as onsite café, fitness center, weekly massage, fitness classes, and other onsite events promoted by our Employee resource groups
- Professional development opportunities through HARMAN University’s business and leadership academies
- Internal talent management leadership acceleration programs
- “Be Brilliant” employee recognition and rewards program
- Scholarship programs for employee family members
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.