(Senior) Engineer, Acoustic Systems (m/f/d)Turin, Italy, Garching bei München, Germany, Gothenburg, Sweden, Karlsbad, Germany, France Job ID: R-15952-2022
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
The Acoustic Systems Engineer will work on Harman’s Car Audio system design, development and the focus on tuning of new audio systems cars: The role will leverage Harman’s brand technology leadership to create the best automotive audio systems in the world.
- Design and tune audio systems in the automotive environment
- Prepare technical requirements and report presentations
- Support departmental initiatives and activities as directed by the department supervisor
- Provide technical support and guidance for the solution of various customers’ and interdepartmental issues
- Develop and document tools and best practices in an international environment
- Planning and managing customer projects and alignment with internal and external stakeholders
- Pick up and deliver cars from customer to car lab
- Preparation of internal/ external audits within the work domain and location
- Support or execution of mechanical tasks e.g. disassembling and mounting hardware components (loudspeaker, amplifier, headunit)
- Travel to customers and other Harman sites within Europe
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Acoustics is required. Master’s degree in Engineering preferred. Alternatively, Tonmeister degree
- Thorough knowledge of acoustics combined with practical experience
- Three years or more of design experience of audio systems and/or components within the automotive or consumer industry
- Three years or more of experience in an audio related field is required; Five years or more of experience is strongly preferred
- Specific experience required in 3 or more of the following fields: acoustical engineering, transducer engineering, digital signal processing, amplifier engineering, physical/psycho-acoustics and recording arts. playing an instrument is strongly preferred
- Knowledge of best practices in product development and sound tuning
- User experience and knowledge of audio tools
- Basic knowledge of loudspeaker design
- Detailed knowledge of acoustic theory, sound reproduction and sound system tuning is required
- Experience on algorithm development and programming is preferred (e.g. Matlab, C, C++))
- Main communication language: English/ optional: German, Swedish, Italian or French)
- Ability to cooperate on technical and artistical solutions
- Basic technical and construction skills
- Openness to travel
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.