Technical Program Manager IITokyo, Japan Job ID: R-6039-2021
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
About the Role
The Program Manager will own the execution of Lifestyle products for a customer base(s). In this role, the PM will manage the customer interface in Japan and will be the escalation path for the customer. He/she will participate in program development from inception developing new business opportunities with the sales team to active program development to post-launch maintenance. With a global cross-functional team, he / she will be responsible for planning, managing, and completing the development of Lifestyle products. The team consists of multidisciplinary groups in NA, India, China, and in Japan. This position will drive world-class system development to meet customer deliverables and prototype deliveries while driving the team to adhere to high quality processes / standards that ensure zero customer defects.
What You Will Do
- Manage customer interface and communication strategy with Japan OEMs in Japan. Ensure assignments from Japan OEMs are well understood, distributed to core teams, and reasonable for Harman success.
- Build and manage customer relationships in Japan and other locations as needed.
- Work with customer interface teams to manage issues
- Support sales team by orchestrating the creation of business cases and technical concept presentations to justify and promote our proposals internally and externally
- Represent product engineering team in new business opportunities by interfacing with core team /customer / sales. Drive business case inputs and product engineering engagement on new technologies.
- Serve as an internal expert on Japan OEM development processes
- Analyze and negotiate program schedules with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure product costing targets are achieved for each product. Maintain records of BOM costs compared to targets; escalate within Harman when targets are not achieved. Ensure design actions are implemented to recover any cost variance in BOM cost target.
- Ensure adherence to engineering best practices / processes and facilitate creation of new best practices as appropriate
- Own and maintain the resource budget and cost of external resources for assigned set of programs. Ensure engineering resources are allocated and qualified to meet the customer requirements. This includes resources in NA, EU, China, India, and Japan.
- Ensure engineering teams have equipment and facilities needed to meet customer requirements.
- Back up colleagues in Japan Office and program management team as appropriate.
- Oversee decisions regarding product content, budget and timing to ensure the product is on-time, on-schedule, on-quality, and meets all customer acceptance criteria (Performance and Features).
- Manage product risk proactively, identify engineering risks and coordinate meetings with the cross-functional team to address risks before they become issues.
- Evaluate and track program metrics to measure program success. Update processes where needed to address customer-specific requirements. Ensure all supporting departments are meeting program targets and Harman processes.
- Ensure customer requirements are communicated throughout Harman engineering teams. Ensure customer requirements are met with the product designed. Manage customer interface teams to clarify requirements when needed
What You Need
- Bachelors in Engineering, Masters preferred
- 5+ years related technical experience
- 2+ years experience in technical program management or customer resident engineering
- Proficient in Japanese language
- Able to communicate in English (spoken and written)
- Experience as a supplier to Japanese carmakers
- Experience managing global teams
- Experience in consulting and/or client-facing role is preferred
- Must have general knowledge of automotive engineering.
- Must be able to articulate vision and influence decision making outcomes with internal stakeholders, external suppliers, and the customer.
- Must have a "whatever-it-takes" attitude using diplomatic leadership skills within a collaborative teamwork environment to accomplish the necessary results.
- Proven and effective communication, analytical, judgment, initiative and execution skills.
- Willingness to help your colleagues
What is Nice to Have
- Expertise in driving complex cost reduction projects and program deliverables
- Business acumen
- Analytical thinking
- Drive for Results, Team Player, Change Orientation, Customer Focus, Self Awareness
- Experience with managing distributed development teams is preferred
What Makes You Eligible
- Willingness to travel up to 25% of the time
What We Offer
- We offer an authentic diverse, equal, and inclusive work environment that fosters and encourages professional and personal development in a truly global organization.
- You will work on products and services that touch people’s lives and will change the industrial standards, being a part of the transformations in our industry.
- Our work environments are fast paced, challenging, empowering, collaborative, flexible and exciting.
- We offer our own HARMAN University with regular updates on the new technologies and trends by utilizing various sessions organized by Self Learning and Development Trainings to help grow and advance talent.
- We offer competitive compensation/benefit programs and recognition programs.
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.