Senior Engineer, SWTokyo, Japan Job ID: R-2433-2021
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
About the Role
OTA (Over the Air Update) is an innovative and important solution for cutting edge connected technologies market as Connected Car, IoT and Mobile. This position focuses on sever side software engineering in technical support, integration / deployment and solution architect for Harman OTA solution.
What You Will Do
- Technical Support in Software Management Solution (focusing on Server Side) for Automotive / IOT / Mobile, which is the combination of OTA Update Technology (modifying and updating the embedded software of mobile products over a wireless network) and Device Management Technology
Installing, configuring and deploying the server products to various types of infrastructure, as customer on premise, private cloud or public cloud.
Providing after-sales white-box level technical support in coordination with various related departments (as R&D, Product Management, Solution Management, Project Management) to provide the solutions (business relationships with major carriers and manufacturers have already been established) mainly to automotive OEM / Tier-1, mobile phone carriers, manufacturers, and software development companies.
- Designing, deploying and maintaining internal lab server Infrastructure for technical research, troubleshooting, prototyping, etc.
- Understand customer’s requirements, tailor a solution based on Redbend’s products and services, and create the optimal solution fitting both customer needs and corporate strategy, collaborating with various internal functional teams as Product Management / Solution Management / Project Management / R&D / Technical Support
- Engage in E2E solution planning for each customer’s configuration in hands-on level
What You Need
- Customer facing technical experience, as Field Application Engineering, Technical Support, Life Cycle Maintenance, Customer Success Engineering, Solution Architect, Sales Engineering, etc.
- Technical experience and skill in server side technologies for the following areas
UNIX/Linux server operating system technical experience (especially Red Hat Enterprise Linux), including installation and configuration
Basic programming experience in Java.
Java web application troubleshooting and code level debugging skill (especially Apache Tomcat based)
Relational Database (especially Oracle DB) configuration and administration, and SQL skill.
Network Infrastructure configuration, administration and troubleshooting, as Firewall, Reverse Proxy, Load Balancer, DNS
- Native Level Japanese
- Comprehensive English skills in business level
- A 4-year college degree or more. Fundamental computer science knowledge in bachelor degree, or equivalent.
What is Nice to Have
- Technical experience and skill in server side technologies for the following areas is nice to have.
Scripting as Python, UNIX/Linux shell script, a plus. Web applications integration via REST API, a plus.
Advanced topics for Database. Object-Relational Mapping technology understanding (especially Hibernate), a plus. NoSQL Database skill (especially Elasticsearch) and Big Data related experience, a plus
Public Cloud skill (as solution designing, deployment and maintenance on Amazon Web Services / Microsoft Azure / Google Cloud Platform) and Server Virtualization skill (as configuration / administration of VMware vSphere, Citrix XenServer, Microsoft Hyper-V, CloudStack, OpenStack) a plus
What Makes You Eligible
- Be willing to work in Tokyo Akihabara Office
What We Offer
- We offer an authentic diverse, equal, and inclusive work environment that fosters and encourages professional and personal development in a truly global organization.
- You will work on products and services that touch people’s lives and will change the industrial standards, being a part of the transformations in our industry.
- Our work environments are fast paced, challenging, empowering, collaborative, flexible and exciting.
- We offer our own HARMAN University with regular updates on the new technologies and trends by utilizing various sessions organized by Self Learning and Development Trainings to help grow and advance talent.
- We offer competitive compensation/benefit programs and recognition programs.
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.