Sr. Engineer, Software - Android/Linux KernelNovi, Michigan Job ID: 116971 Additional locations: None
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Additional Work Location(s) ​​​​​:None
About the Role
As a skilled and highly motivated engineer, you will be a part of a global team working on the next-generation infotainment platform based on Android. You will investigate system-level issues and work with multiple software domains to engineer elegant solutions. You will work across core components of the Android software stack to develop new software modules as well as debug and integrate existing solutions that are generic across multiple infotainment platforms.
What You Will Do
- Your time as a Sr. Software Engineer will be devoted to developing and testing software. This role will allow you to function as a lead on projects and mentor less experienced engineers and interns.
- You will work extensively with Android OS and LINUX, BSP development, and driver development. You will also work extensively with embedded C/C++.
- Analyze customer and internal requirements and specifications and translates these into software designs.
- Analyze existing embedded software to add features, make modifications, fix bugs, and/or port to different platforms.
- Test software designs and code at the unit and system level to ensure that all requirements are met and the highest software quality is achieved.
- Participate in internal and customer-driven design reviews throughout the program.
- Coordinate software development activities with the software team leader.
- Identify product requirements or performance issues and work with the software team leader to negotiate a resolution.
- Communicate with peers inside the Harman group to coordinate software development. This includes occasional travel for training or coordination with other groups.
- Manage small projects and technical resources, including planning, estimating and follow through.
- Manage large projects and technical resources, including planning, estimating, and developing requirements in compliance with the established software development process.
- Work with the customer to further define requirements and to resolve issues.
What You Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent.
- 5 years of embedded software development or testing.
- 5 years of C/C++ or other structured languages.
- Experience developing and debugging software in a real-time, embedded, multiprocessor, multi-interface environment.
- Experience working in the field of embedded systems with familiarity in OSes like Android, Linux, QNX or other UNIX based systems.
- Experience working on the core Android stack, especially with the framework, HAL, and or Linux kernel.
- Working knowledge of Android-based systems and a very good understanding of ARM and Intel architectures.
- Prior experience of working on Linux Kernel drivers, Multimedia, Graphics and/or other Android HALs is an added advantage.
- Passion for developing new products, and experience working the complete SW development life cycle.
What is Nice to Have
- Previous experience in working on projects at a system level is a plus.
- This section should have no more than 5 bullets
- List additional job-related education, experience, skills, or credentials desired by Hiring Manager
- Preferred qualifications are specific enough to narrow down the applicant pool to the most potentially successful candidates but not so restrictive as to limit the consideration of applicants from under-represented groups and applicants with non-traditional career paths
- These qualifications may not be a must-have to the position but enhance a candidate’s ability to perform the role
What Makes You Eligible
- Be willing to travel up to 10%
- Be willing to work in the Novi, MI office
- Successfully complete a background investigation and drug screen as a condition of employment
- This position requires the use of a HARMAN or customer-owned vehicle. As such, any offer of employment will be contingent upon having a clean driving record, which will be evaluated and determined in HARMAN’s sole discretion, no more than 4 active points for moving violations (issued by any motor vehicle agency), and no references to operating a vehicle under the influence of controlled substances within the last 10 years.
What We Offer
- Access to employee discounts on world-class HARMAN products (JBL, HARMAN Kardon, AKG, etc.)
- Extensive training opportunities through our own HARMAN University
- Competitive wellness benefits
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Access to HARMAN Campus Fitness Center and Cafeteria
- An inclusive and diverse work environment that fosters and encourages professional and personal development
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.