Sr. Director, Global Hardware System EngineeringShenzhen, China, Northridge, California, Richardson, Texas Job ID: 117718 Additional locations: Northridge; Richardson
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Additional Work Location(s) ​​​​​:Northridge; Richardson
Are you passionate about music and an innovator to design and build the most valuable and high-performing product in its category? Do you like to inspire our customers from music creation, distribution and reproduction industries? If so, HARMAN’s Professional Division may have a career opportunity for you! In this highly visible role, you are empowered to lead a global hardware system team to deliver the most exciting audio, video, and lighting product for our worldwide market.
Harman Pro offers a highly competitive compensation package and a great career path. You will be a key member of an executive product development team to lead our platforming initiative for all NPI programs, which will be the key driver to double our entire business in the next few years. You will be working in a highly-efficient, results-driven and cross-function collaborative organization where team goal triumphs personal ego. While you are based in Harman Pro and Lifestyle Audio Shenzhen Global Development Center (SGDC), you will work very closely with our global technology centers of competency (CoC) and SoC suppliers.
What you’ll be doing
- Lead and coach an organization of 30+ electrical and hardware system engineers ensuring their entire audio path (esp. on power Amp and analog/digital IO) design competency meets product performance, quality and cost requirement
- Lead an engineering cross-function system architecture team to architect, design and validate audio, video and lighting system solution and its performance/quality
- Develop advanced EMI prediction tool along with best practice in PCBA design to significantly shorten EMC cert cycle
- Build a complete but scalable HW platform for our legendary JBL active speaker portfolio from small to large performance venues
- Collaborate with CoC to develop scalable HW architecture for rapid commercialization of our CloudworX solution on all networked edge devices at any price point level
- Promote innovative and/or cost-efficient engineering solutions to Global Product Line Managers (GPLM) for roadmap products
- Deliver annual key NPI programs on schedule, quality and cost
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related disciplines (Masters preferred)
- Senior leadership experience with relevant audio expertise in developing and leading global audio brand products preferably in Pro audio with proven record in making significant impact on the business
- Experienced in developing and engaging a high-performing diverse engineering organization
- Be able to demonstrate complex problem-solving skill involving performance/feature, quality and cost in a typical product design triangle
- Know how to actively listen, effectively communicate, influence and persuade in a global matrix organization
- Deep understanding of DFM and "cost innovation”
- Willingness to travel
- Willingness to work in an office
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen
We are ONE HARMAN. We are greater than the sum of our divisions or brands. We are the birthplace of Harman iconic brands such as JBL, AKG and Martin. We work hard and smart and expect you to do so to reach your full potential. We put our passion and soul into our products to create useful, playful, beautiful things for our customers. We strive for excellence and win as a team. At Harman, we expect brilliance. You can expect a career full of brilliant possibilities.
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.