Sr. Director, Global Acoustic System EngineeringShenzhen, China, Northridge, California, Richardson, Texas Job ID: 117809 Additional locations: Northridge; Richardson
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Additional Work Location(s) ​​​​​:Northridge; Richardson
If you are passionate about music and an innovator to design and build the most valuable and high-performing audio product to inspire our customers from music creation, distribution and reproduction industries, HARMAN’s Professional Division has the best job offering for you on this planet! In this high-impact role, you are empowered to lead a global acoustic system engineering team to design and deliver the most exciting audio product ranging from content creation devices, studio monitor speakers, small-venue performance PA, to the most powerful line array systems for our world-wide market.
Harman Pro offers a very competitive compensation package and a great career path for you because we firmly believe the investment on you will pay its dividend both short and long terms.
You will be a key member of our audio product leadership team.
On the product side, you and Global Product Line Manager (GPLM) will be working in partnership to define the next generation audio products together. In addition to that, you will lead overall acoustic system architecture design, performance simulation/prediction and subsequent EV/DV/PV performance validation all the way to a successful product launch.
On the technology side, you will work very closely with our global technology centers of competency (CoC) for rapid commercialization of some of the most advanced audio technology in products that will give Harman a distinct competitive advantage in the marketplace.
You will work in an highly-efficient, results-driven and cross-function collaborative environment where team goal always triumphs personal ego.
You will be based in Harman Pro Shenzhen Global Design Center (SGDC) but expected to travel globally to visit our key technology suppliers as well as our global CoC sites.
What you’ll be doing
- Build world-class acoustic product design team by leading and coaching a team of 30+ acoustic engineers
- Serve as a most senior acoustic system architect to work with product team to define, architect, design, validate and optimize complex audio system with right performance, quality and cost tradeoffs
- Innovate on next generation audio system design by combining advanced DSP technology with best acoustic system design practice
- Collaborate with CoC to commercialize industry-leading driver and speaker technology and ensure Design-For-Manufacturability (DFM)
- Partnership with GPLM to define next generation audio product engineering spec, criteria and procedure for complete system acoustic performance characterization and qualification
- Promote innovative and/or cost-efficient engineering solutions to GPLM for roadmap products
- Deliver key NPI programs on schedule, quality and cost
- Bachelor’s degree in Acoustic Engineering or related disciplines (Master’s preferred)
- Senior leadership experience with relevant audio expertise in developing and leading global audio brand products preferably in Pro audio with proven record in making significant impact on the business
- Extensive experience in applying DSP techniques to audio products
- Experienced in developing and engaging a high-performing diverse engineering organization
- Be able to demonstrate complex problem-solving skill involving performance/feature, quality and cost in a typical product design triangle
- Know how to actively listen, effectively communicate, influence and persuade in a global matrix organization
- Hands-on experience in audio design and acoustic measurements
- Knowledge of electrical and mechanical design of audio systems and their interaction with acoustic system performance
- Deep understanding of DFM and "cost innovation”
- Willingness to travel
- Willingness to work in an office
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.