Senior Software Engineer, C++ 11Richardson, Texas Job ID: 122582 Additional locations: None
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Additional Work Location(s) ​​​​​:None
About the Role
Responsible for developing & maintaining software platforms associated with next-generation audio, video, light & control systems in Professional Solutions. This person will collaborate closely with the Centers of Competency (CoC), Product Development & Product Management Teams to identify, prioritize & develop software platforms. He/she will also be responsible to work closely with NPI teams to integrate software platforms in order to deliver successful products.
What You Will Do
- Responsible for developing, deploying & maintaining software platforms associated with next-generation audio, video & control systems for Professional Solutions.
- Maintain a process-oriented culture for a team developing software products using agile methodologies.
- Participate in overall business planning by contributing current knowledge and future vision of how technology and systems will enable business strategy, growth and competitive positioning. The CoC Software lead will propose projects derived from these regular planning sessions and align with the Platform leaders for their approval. Collaborate closely with CoC, Product Development & Product Management Teams to identify & prioritize right platforms for development.
- Partner with NPI Teams to successfully launch Software Products in the market
What You Need
- Master or Bachelor's degree (in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a related technical discipline).
- Minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in developing large-scale software applications in C++ 11 (e.g. Smart Pointer Classes, Lambdas, and Automatic Type Deduction).
- Hands-on experience with GCC, git, CMake, Boost, Valgrind, Wireshark. IP networking (Broadcast Domain, DNS, TCP, UDP, Multicast, Subnet, Gateway, IPv4, and IPv6).
- Working knowledge of these Linux utilities: Ifconfig, netstat, top, tail, grep, ps, lsof, systemctl, gdb.
- Experience working in an Agile development team and knowledge of the following concepts: Sprint, Story, Epic, Pointing, Scrum, Retrospective.
What is Nice to Have
- Domain Expertise - Understanding of Professional Solutions in the domain of Audio, Video, Lighting & Control will be an added advantage. Knowledge of professional system control technologies is highly desirable.
- Understanding of information security concepts and artifacts including X.509 Certificates, CRL, TLS/SSL, SSH, PKI.
- Knowledgeable of the following version control tools such as JIRA, Bitbucket, Bamboo, and Confluence.
- Experience with Visual Studio Professional, Community Edition or Visual Studio Code.
- Hands on experience with cross-platform development for Windows/Linux and Apple/Android.
What Makes You Eligible
- Be willing to travel up to 10% domestic and international travel.
- Be willing to work in an office, Richardson, TX.
- Successfully complete a background investigation and drug screen as a condition of employment.
What We Offer
- Access to employee discounts on world-class HARMAN products (JBL, HARMAN Kardon, etc.).
- An opportunity to collaborate with talented teams across the globe and make an impact on our business.
- An inclusive and diverse work environment that fosters and encourages professional and personal development.
- Flexible work schedule with a culture encouraging work-life integration.
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.