Project Manager, Engineering (Hardware for Audio Products)Richardson, Texas Job ID: R-19361-2022
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
About the Role
As the Project Manager, Engineering, you will be managing the new product development programs for our HARMAN Professional Solutions team and ensure all projects will be executed according to agreed metrics and processes. You will be an integral part of executing the roadmap for the future of the business and you are expected to provide strong leadership in managing interrelated projects and programs to ensure successful delivery. Strong project management and excellent organizational skills are fundamental, as is the ability to liaise with people at all levels of the organization.
As an individual contributor, you will be part of a 4-5 teams where at least one of them is located abroad. You need to be flexible to run multiple teams that work in different countries such as the US, India, Denmark, and China.
What You Will Do
- Planning and executing projects in accordance with the defined stage-gate model. A hands-on, collaborative approach to managing a project. Be a visible and active part of the team.
- Prepare project development budgets including prototypes, samples, outside services, etc. Includes capital plans and Capital Authorization Requests.
- Develop control systems to monitor project progress and develop corrective actions to keep projects on track. Reporting to the PMO and presenting to management steering committee meetings. Employ negotiating skills to resolve intra and inter team conflicts.
- Develop and maintain project performance metrics including the publishing of reports and corrective action summaries. Updating budget with cost, used time and resources with support from the project controller if needed. Ongoing risk management evaluating the risk and taking the necessary actions.
- Work with an Agile and Waterfall Development Team. Need to be flexible to run multiple teams that work from different countries such as US, India, and China.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with a minimum of 5years of Project Management experience.
- Experience running hardware projects. This includes managing a project through hardware design, schematic capture, layout/routing, PCB fabrication, multiple boards spins (alpha, beta, production), and hardware level testing and compliance.
- Experience running projects with mechanical engineering and managing 3rd party suppliers for local board builds and mechanical fabrication.
- Experience managing an embedded firmwareteam running Agile development methodology. Also, advanced knowledge of Jira, Confluence. Being able to report the status from Jira on progress, dependencies and etc.
- Develop Gantt schedules using MS-Project. Includes development of a WBS, resource allocations, costs, critical path generation and project tracking.
What is Nice to Have
- PMP certification.
- Eazy BI practical knowledge
What Makes You Eligible
- Be willing to travel up to 10% domestic and international travel.
- Be willing to work in an office in Richardson, TX.
- Successfully complete a background investigation and drug screen as a condition of employment
What We Offer
- Competitive wellness benefits and 401K retirement plan.
- An inclusive and diverse work environment that fosters and encourages career development opportunities.
- Flexible work schedule with a culture encouraging work-life integration.
- On-site opportunities to focus on personal well-being and development provided by our Wellness Committee, Volunteer Committee, and Harman Women’s Network.
- Professional development opportunities through HARMAN University’s business and leadership academies and extensive course catalog.
- Opportunity to collaborate with talented teams across the world.
- Participate in the "Be Brilliant" Recognition Program.
- Access to employee discounts on world-class HARMAN products (JBL, Harman/Kardon, etc.)
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.