Principal FPGA Engineer, Audio ElectronicsRichardson, Texas Job ID: 120161 Additional locations: None
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Additional Work Location(s) ​​​​​:None
About the Role
Principal Engineers lead the conceptualization, design, and implementation and testing of technologies, tools, and processes while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. They are recognized throughout the Division as an emerging expert. In this role, the successful candidate will help author and invent the next generation of embedded DSP, Analog Interface and Control hardware and software. Leveraging technology trends and their own expertise, the successful candidate will disrupt both cost and user experience to lead the professional audio industry.
What You Will Do
- Architect and guide other engineers in the design of circuits including mixed-signal, low-noise analog, High-Speed High-Technology Digital, LCD displays, PLL, FPGA, Power Integrity, High Layer Count boards.
- Work with internal Harman groups and external suppliers to select key electrical components including microprocessors, DDR, FLASH, ADC/DAC, DSPs, SOCs, amplifier chips, FPGAs, ASICs, USB, and other key electrical components.
- Work with NPI, operations, and CMs/ODMs to ensure hardware designs meet world-class design for manufacturing (DFM) standards.
- Design, analyze, specify, characterize and document electrical circuits and determine their performance characteristics using SPICE, Sabre, Hyperlynx, and other engineering CAE analysis tools.
- Lead circuit design and analysis, simulation, and DFMEA to ensure the design meets requirements.
What You Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Computer, or related field with a minimum of 8 years of experience; alternatively, Master’s Degree and at least 5 years’ experience in R&D.
- Expertise in embedded development of high-end microcontrollers and microprocessors and DSP Processors.
- Some C, C++ or C# programming and debugging skills.
- Strong experience with complex digital subsystems, which includes DDR3, FLASH, PCIe, Gigabit Ethernet, PHY, PLL, FPGA, and analog audio signals OpAmp, ADC/DAC.
- Strong experience with board and system powering subsystems, which includes Intermediate Bus, Point-of-Load, Inrush Control, Offline Switching modules, PMIC. LDO.
- Basic understanding of audio signals and professional audio systems.
What is Nice to Have
- Strong experience with Embedded Linux.
- Experience in professional audio device industry in creating hardware and systems for audio production.
- System redundancy (HW fail-over, SW image failback, interface fail-over).
- DSP principles and the ability to apply them. (hard real-time, FFT, FIR, IIR, Z-transform, etc…)
- Experience with communications protocols such as TCP/IP, UDP, HTTP, PTP, etc.
What Makes You Eligible
- Be willing to travel up to 10% domestic and international travel.
- Be willing to work in an office in Richardson, TX.
- Successfully complete a background investigation and drug screen as a condition of employment.
What We Offer
- Access to employee discounts on world-class HARMAN products (JBL, HARMAN Kardon, etc.).
- An opportunity to collaborate with talented teams across the globe and make an impact on our business.
- An inclusive and diverse work environment that fosters and encourages professional and personal development.
- Flexible work schedule with a culture encouraging work-life integration.
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.