Sr. DSP EngineerQuerétaro City, Mexico Job ID: 120225 Additional locations: None
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Additional Work Location(s) ​​​​​:None
This position is a senior embedded DSP software engineer within the Lifestyle Automotive Audio division. Products that will be developed are OEM automotive amplifiers, typically consisting of a main microcontroller, a DSP processor and various hardware peripherals. Software development work will be mainly to integrate DSP algorithms and control structures to meet complex system requirements.
This position does not have any direct reports.
- Develop production ready software following a defined software development process.
- Work with DSP algorithms requiring an understanding of audio systems and acoustics.
- Work with DSP algorithms requiring an understanding of noise cancellation and sound-synthesis.
- Implement DSP features on non-traditional processors, requiring knowledge of potential architecture limitations and mitigating software strategies.
- Integrate DSP features into complex, multi-threaded, multi-processor architectures.
- Evaluate DSP algorithm performance to identify bottlenecks and resource constraints.
- Port and optimize DSP features to maximize system performance and reduce cost with a focus on re-use.
- Analyze and identify requirements and specifications for translation into software designs.
- Author documentation for software designs, bug reports, and test plans.
- Perform structured root-cause analysis on audio defects and implement targeted fixes.
- Test software designs and code at the unit and system level to insure that all requirements are met.
- Maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers and represent the DSP team during technical reviews.
- Own audio quality and strive to constantly improve system performance.
- Work both independently and within large global teams with little direct supervision.
- Passion for audio and music.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- 5+ years of DSP software development using C/C++.
- Specific experience with embedded real-time operating systems.
- Specific experience in audio/acoustical engineering, psycho-acoustics, and/or recording arts.
- Specific experience with noise cancellation and/or sound-synthesis techniques.
- Working knowledge of digital communication protocols.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills.
- Capable project management and time management skills.
- Ability to read schematics and debug analog and digital hardware.
- Experience writing low level drivers.
- Working knowledge of MATLAB and Simulink
- Working knowledge of vehicle networking (CAN, MOST, etc.)
- Experience with DSP assembly language programming.
- Experience with use of audio systems and software (DAWs, audio interfaces, audio plug-ins, speakers, microphones, etc.)
- Familiarity with bug tracking systems such as JIRA and version control systems such as git.
Familiarity with test equipment (signal generators, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, Audio Precision, etc.)
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.