Technical SW Program ManagerNovi, Michigan Job ID: 117704 Additional locations: None
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Additional Work Location(s) ​​​​​:None
The Technical SW Program Manager is responsible for the SW development lifecycle in the planning, development, launch, and closure phases of a program. They will be an internal and customer communication path regarding status and escalations. They will also be the primary interface for SW development to other non-engineering internal stakeholders. The responsibility includes not only planning the product development and testing, but actively managing the gating SW deliverables, reporting status against the plan, and leading the resolution of issues that are blocking the team from making progress.
HARMAN is at the forefront of developing new in-vehicle infotainment and connectivity systems that let drivers and passengers are entertained, connected, efficient, and productive while in the car. As such, our systems are leading the industry with exciting innovations in multimedia, connectivity, car-centric applications, navigation, advanced safety, and multi-modal interfaces. This position will be at the center of the development, working closely with our OEM partners, internal and customer engineering teams, and select 3rd parties to define next-generation features and services.
- Build and manage customer relationships at a working team level (Customer Program Release Engineers)
- Gate the Software Development Release lifecycle to ensure customer acceptance of each release to ensure product acceptance for launch
- Make decisions regarding software build content and timing (Performance and Features).
- Manage program risk proactively, identify program risks and coordinate meetings with the PM and multi-discipline functions to address risks before they become issues
- Evaluate project management processes and metrics to track and measure project success (Manage all product delivery elements)
- Provide weekly program status updates via the standard template. Represent the program Internally to Sr. Management during program, quality and operations reviews.Lead the program adherence to follow standard Harman processes and maintain program and customer related documentation
- Be the primary escalation point for both internal and external project software communications for the dedicated customer project
- Responsible for communicating the customer requirements within the organization and interface with multiple groups within to ensure customer’s requirement expectations are being met
- Will be involved in multiple software development lifecycles.
- Ph.D. degree in Engineering or related field and 4 years of experience in corporate or academic research; alternatively, Master’s Degree in above-mentioned fields and 8 years of experience in research and development or Bachelor’s Degree and 12 years’ experience
- Broad technical background with general knowledge of Bluetooth, WiFi, cellular technology, smartphones, navigation, GPS, tuner, satellite Radio, video, voice recognition, hands-free operation, vehicle bus, advanced safety, cloud-based services, and automotive requirements
- Practical experience in related areas such as system design, hardware/software design, and real-time embedded applications
- Previous experience in all phases of the software development process (Requirements, Scope, Design/Plan, Develop, Test, and Customer Acceptance.)
- Proven technical leadership
- Experience using the Scrum process
- Experience working in the automotive industry or technology industry
- Experience with the use of rapid prototyping tools for software and hardware, electronics, and mechanical design for consumer electronics and future device platforms
- Must have a general knowledge of automotive infotainment systems and their applications
- Must be able to articulate vision and influence decision making outcomes with internal stakeholders, external suppliers, and the customer
- Excellent oral and written communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively with business and technology leaders.
- Experience managing external and internal vendors/partners
- Must have a "whatever-it-takes" attitude using diplomatic leadership skills within a collaborative teamwork environment to accomplish the necessary results
- Ability to communicate advanced and complex concepts and ideas persuasively and concisely to all levels of the business
- This position includes the use of a HARMAN or customer-owned vehicle. The employee must be 21 years of age or older and will possess a valid US drivers license
- Willingness to travel as required by job demands (approximately 10% of the time)
- Willingness to work in the Novi, MI office.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
- Any offer of employment for any position that requires the use of a HARMAN or customer-owned vehicle is contingent upon the applicant having a clean driving record, which will be evaluated and determined in Harman’s sole discretion; however, applicants may have no more than 4 active points for moving violations (issued by any motor vehicle agency), and applicants must have no references to operating a vehicle under the influence of controlled substances within the last 10 years.
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.