System Software EngineerNovi, Michigan Job ID: 120143 Additional locations: None
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Additional Work Location(s) ​​​​​:None
System Software Engineer
What You Will Do :
The engineer will be responsible for testing production ready software following a defined software development process. The engineer must be capable of analyzing specifications, developing software architecture and designs, creating embedded C code, developing unit test plans, integration test plans, and verifying functionality. The engineer will be responsible for the end-to-end software development for an amplifier product(s).
- The majority of the time will be spent in the development of deeply embedded software in C.
- Lead the software development team by creating software development plans, managing customer releases, leading the software planning meetings, delegating software tasks to the team, and providing technical mentoring to the team.
- Provide project estimates and status to the Software Manager.
- Assist in the development of architecture design.
- Analyze customer and internal requirements and translate these into software designs.
- Analyze existing embedded software to add features, make modifications, fix bus, and/or port to different platforms.
- Test software designs and code at the unit and system level to ensure that all requirements are met and the highest software quality is achieved and that C1 coverage is achieved.
- Work with off-shore development and verification teams to support in the software development activity.
- Work with the hardware team to review hardware designs and support initial hardware debug.
- Communicate and interface directly to the OEM customers.
- Lead the team in the defect management process including planning, tracking, and ensuring that defects are actively managed.
- Manage the software development process and associated work products to ensure ASPICE compliance.
- Provide input for Harman Software Process continuous improvement.
- Identify project needs, such as equipment, and procure the necessary resources.
What You Need :
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- 5+ years of microcontroller embedded software development.
- 5+ years of programming in C or another structured language.
- Experience developing and debugging software in a real-time, embedded, multiprocessor, multi-interface environment.
- Experienced working with vehicle networking (CAN, MOST, etc) and diagnostics (UDS, KWP2000).
- Working knowledge of software development tools (debugger’s, emulators, compilers, etc).
- Ability to read schematics and debug analog and digital hardware.
- Able to use oscilloscope and logic analyzer for troubleshooting.
- Working knowledge of embedded operating systems.
- Working knowledge of software development processes and process models such as CMMI or ASPICE.
- Experienced with technical leadership of other engineers in the development of software.
- Experienced working with and/or leading off-shore development teams.
- Experienced with development and management of project schedules.
- Experienced in developing effort estimates.
- Creative problem-solver capable of creating and reproducing complex software defects.
- Capable project management and time management skills.
- Experienced interfacing directly to OEM’s
- Strong attention to detail.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills.
Preferred Qualifications & Desired Competencies:
- Master’s degree or PhD in Electrical Engineering or equivalent and/or Master of Business Administration
- Familiarity with audio processing.
- Experience writing network drivers and applications (CAN, MOST, AVC-LAN) and working with Vector based CAN applications
- Experience writing low level drivers
- Experience with uC-OSII or other embedded RTOS
- Experience with V850 / RH850 microcontrollers
- Experience or familiarity with AUTOSAR
- Experience or familiarity with model-based software development
- Willingness to travel up to 10% of the time.
- Willingness to work in an office in Novi, MI
HARMAN will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)