Software Architect - AndroidNovi, Michigan Job ID: 121989 Additional locations: None
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Additional Work Location(s) ​​​​​:None
About the Role
The Android Architect will require high-level technical knowledge of the Android Ecosystem, Android Framework, and Android application development experience. This role will provide direction, guidance and expert advice in the areas of software architectures, frameworks, methodologies, patterns, and best practices. This role will focus on engineering innovative, strategic, and long-term solutions that align with corporate Android platform architecture. This role will work collaboratively with the corporate Android platform team, product software development team, and customer program management team to establish and maintain technical assets within the enterprise technology portfolio.
We have multiple ongoing opportunities within our Android Engineering teams. By applying to this role you will be considered for the hiring needs within these teams.
What You Will Do
- Identify architectural constraints for the architectural level (project, domain, application) based on technical and organizational requirements and decompose them to architectural levels below
- Develop software architecture for the assigned architectural level fulfilling the architectural requirements
- Document and communicate architectural decisions based on at least more than one design alternative
- Get approval for architectural changes from the architect at a higher level
- Define, develop and verify all interfaces to related SW architectural elements are complete
- Describe, evaluate and verify dynamic behavior and interaction between the related SW architectural elements
- Analyze the customer requirement and map them to existing architecture or extend the architecture starting from the RFQ/RFI phase
- Analyze and address architectural relevant non-functional requirements
- Develop prototype and execute feasibility studies
- Market research (FOSS - free and open-source alternatives)
- Ensure traceability and consistency to system architecture and to software requirements
- Escalate if software implementation is not according to agreed architectural alternative
- Request all input which is necessary to fulfill the responsibilities
- Customer CCB (change control board)/Program Risk Reviews/Overall Software Architecture CoC Meeting (CoC "Software Design and Architecture")
What You Need
- Ph.D. degree in Engineering or related field and 4 years of experience in corporate or academic research; alternatively, Master’s Degree in above-mentioned fields and 8 years of experience in research and development or Bachelor’s Degree and 12 years’ experience
- 6+ years of development experience in Android framework and applications
- Strong knowledge of Android SDK and different versions of Android
- Exceptional reputation as an innovator based on having created forward-looking research, projects, and award-winning publications
- Proven technical leadership
- Experience working in the technology industry or automotive industry
- Knowledge of embedded software, system and beyond
- Expert knowledge and experience of Software Architecture
- Analysis of requirements
- Modeling tools and languages
- Ability to document comprehensively and concisely
- Knowledge of configuration management
- Knowledge of process models (e.g. Automotive SPICE®)
What Makes You Eligible
- Be willing to travel up to 10%
- Be willing to work in the Novi, MI office
- Successfully complete a background investigation and drug screen as a condition of employment
- This position requires the use of a HARMAN or customer-owned vehicle. As such, any offer of employment will be contingent upon having a clean driving record, which will be evaluated and determined in HARMAN’s sole discretion, no more than 4 active points for moving violations (issued by any motor vehicle agency), and no references to operating a vehicle under the influence of controlled substances within the last 10 years.
What We Offer
- Access to employee discounts on world-class HARMAN products (JBL, HARMAN Kardon, AKG, etc.)
- Extensive training opportunities through our own HARMAN University
- Competitive wellness benefits
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Access to HARMAN Campus Fitness Center and Cafeteria
- An inclusive and diverse work environment that fosters and encourages professional and personal development
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.