Senior Manager, Program ManagementNovi, Michigan Job ID: 120579 Additional locations: None
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Additional Work Location(s) ​​​​​:None
About the Role
The HARMAN X Program Manager is responsible for the overall program delivery of the projects that the HARMAN X team invests. The Program Manager will be the primary contact regarding schedule and delivery status. They will be responsible for planning and managing the end-to-end program through the innovation, incubation, and commercialization phases – including managing the Gate process, reporting on project status and program, anticipating and mitigating risks, and ensuring the HARMAN X team is enabled to complete their projects within the given scope, timeframe, and quality expectation. They will maintain the relationship between the participating parties and have overall ownership of the schedule, scope, and budget for all HARMAN X programs.
You will initially act as an individual contributor and therefore have no direct reports. However, you will lead and collaborate with project members from the Business Units as well as others in HARMAN X and thus must have the necessary experience to influence and drive the right outcome. As the list of projects warrants, you may need to add direct reports to properly manage the deliverables of HARMAN X as approved by the Chief Technology Officer.
What You Will Do
- Lead global, distributed teams and drive HARMAN X projects
- Ensure the overall success and on-time delivery of committed projects
- Manage program risk proactively, identify program risks and coordinate meetings with management and multi-discipline functions to address risks before they become issues
- Design and deploy project management processes and metrics to track and measure project success
- Provide weekly program status updates via agreed-to template. Represent the HARMAN X programs to senior management during Gate approval, program, quality, and operations reviews
- Lead the program adherence to follow standard HARMAN processes and maintain program and customer-related documentation
- Be the primary escalation point for both internal and external program communications for the extended team
- Set direction and influence cross-department engagement for program execution and drive synchronization across multiple program teams
- Track and report progress of programs to internal and external stakeholders
- Prepare and be accountable for HARMAN X budgets
What You Need
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Computer Engineering
- Must be able to articulate vision and influence decision making/outcomes with internal stakeholders, external suppliers, and customers
- Must have a "whatever-it-takes" attitude using diplomatic leadership skills within a collaborative teamwork environment to accomplish the necessary results
- Demonstrable track record for successfully managing complex, global projects
- Proven ability to track and drive action items so that the team maintains their committed schedules, deliverables, and expected level of quality.
- Proven and effective communication, analytical, judgment, initiative and execution skills
- 10+ years of related experience in program management, project leadership, and/or account management
- Recent significant systems/software experience with complex solution development
- Comfortable working in ambiguity and leading teams through innovation uncertainty
What is Nice to Have
- PMP certification
- Experience in consulting and/or client-facing role
- Strong technology background in system design, software architectures, artificial intelligence, and embedded systems
What Makes You Eligible
- Willingness to travel 25% of the time
- Willingness to submit to a background screen and a drug test
- Willingness to work in an office in Novi, MI
What We Offer
- Access to employee discounts on world-class HARMAN products (JBL, HARMAN Kardon, etc.)
- Extensive training opportunities through HARMAN University
- Access to HARMAN Novi Campus Fitness Center and Cafeteria
- An inclusive and diverse work environment that fosters and encourages professional and personal development
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.