Senior Data EngineerNovi, Michigan Job ID: 118323 Additional locations: None
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Additional Work Location(s) ​​​​​:None
The Best Cost Data Engineer will report into the HARMAN Best Cost Analytics organization and will be responsible for developing data infrastructure and analytics capabilities in support of HARMAN’s product cost management initiatives. The Best Cost Analytics team is responsible for driving a strong Design-to-Cost culture at HARMAN through the development and delivery of “Should Cost” models from the component level to the system level, including manufacturing and delivery costs. Working in partnership with Engineering, Manufacturing and Procurement teams, the Best Cost Analytics team will deliver the target cost models and data necessary to drive HARMAN to a Design-to-Cost leadership position.
- Architect HARMAN’s cost data management capabilities including specification of the necessary tools and infrastructure to import, update and maintain data from a variety of sources, including internal and external sources.
- Architect and deploy databases composed of internal and external data sources to support HARMAN’s cost modeling and cost analytics efforts. Build the necessary infrastructure to optimally extract and transform the data for defined use cases.
- Develop and deploy analytics tools, including 3rd party business intelligence solutions, enabling efficient consumption and reporting of data with a focus on consistency and repeatability through automation.
- Develop the capabilities necessary to automate the monthly generation of cost reporting, including the generation of monthly Key Performance Indicator (KPI) dashboards.
- Contribute to the definition and enhancement of the Best Cost Analytics data systems to improve the capability and working efficiency of the team.
- Deliver training to Best Cost Analytics team members on data infrastructure and analytics tools.
- Collaborate with IT to ensure that data infrastructure reliably supports the needs of a global organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, statistics, information systems or engineering.
- Minimum 5 yrs working in an equivalent role.
- Minimum 5 years in Object Orientated software design and development
- Demonstrated ability to lead, influence and deliver results in a highly visible individual contributor role.
- Advanced working knowledge of database technologies, including SQL.
- Experience in designing and maintaining relational databases on a cloud-based server (AWS, Azure, Google, etc).
- Experience in .NET or Linux DB development (.NET preferred)
- Demonstrated experience architecting data systems with accompanying analytics capabilities.
- Results-oriented with a highly analytical approach to problem-solving.
- Successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large, disconnected datasets.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, highly measured, results-focused environment.
- Master’s degree in computer science, statistics, information systems or engineering.
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python.
- Embedded or C development experience.
- Experience in designing and maintaining UI, preferably Web User Interfaces.
- Customer-facing interaction in the automotive industry.
- Cost engineering, procurement, purchasing or finance experience.
- Strong process orientation with an ability to develop and document new processes.
- Experience working with both structured and unstructured datasets.
- Strong project management skills with demonstrated ability to plan and execute projects on a committed timeline.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a cross-functional environment. Must be able to comfortably interface into a variety of functions including IT, Procurement, Engineering, and Manufacturing.
- Proven team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills who can effectively work with all levels of a global matrixed organization.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing demands and conditions.
- Willingness to travel 10% of the time.
- Willingness to work in Harman’s Novi, MI.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.