Director, Business Development, Software ProductsNovi, Michigan, United States Job ID: 118043 Additional locations: None
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Additional Work Location(s) ​​​​​:None
The Global Car Audio Division targeting a sustainable double-digit growth is establishing the position of the Director Business Development Software Products - a position responsible for leading the global business development activities of car audio technologies, incl. AudioworX and HALOsonic suite of active noise management technologies.
He/she will anticipate industry trends, build value propositions for the technologies, engage with potential customers, set the global sales strategy, and define new revenue channels. This includes capturing the voice of the customer, driving new business acquisition and RFQ pursuits from concept through business award, identifying forward-looking technology & associated strategies and defining which technologies to invest in. The person will work closely with and provide leadership to various cross-functional teams including the Global Customer Business Unit (CBU) teams, the Lifestyle Technology Team (TechWorX), and Product Development Engineering Teams. This role is expected to drive growth by targeted technology deployment, maximizing the potential for sales and margin by enabling attractive product roadmaps, prioritization of technology and feature development.
1-2 Product Managers.
- Drive Market Success – Develop a successful global sales strategy that leverages AudioworX and associated suite of car audio technologies to create a portfolio of products & services that enables the business unit to win new profitable business. Assess the global Car Audio competitive landscape, anticipate industry trends, as well as the needs of current and future customers, developing new business and pricing models to meet profitability goals.
- Live the Product Lifecycle – Understand all aspects of the product lifecycle from cradle to grave and ensure technology evolution strategies are in place to maximize ROI. Evaluate and advise on the impact of longrange planning, introduction of new products, especially product and feature extensions.
- Financial and Commercial Acumen – Think beyond the technology itself and understand key business drivers that ensure technology investment will provide substantial value or improvements to customers. Generate new profitmaking initiatives with application of disciplined risk and return criteria leveraging cross-functional and cross-industry relationships to deliver.
- Partnerships and Collaborations – Develop strategies to connect and partner with other automotive suppliers to leverage synergies and ensure that Harman is OEM customers’ first choice for Car Audio related solutions. He/she will also guide collaboration, cooperation, joint venture negotiations with 3rd party technology suppliers.
- Leading a Team Develop a strong team of Product managers, responsive to the needs of the business and customers. Ability to attract, retain and motivate best in class talent.
- Strategic Partner & Team Player – Participate in the development of the Car Audio Global Product Management plans and programs as a strategic partner, works as a global team player in Technology Development teams incl. HALOsonic Engineering Teams, CoC, and Marketing activities outside specific responsibility, establishing credibility throughout the organization as an effective developer of solutions to business challenges.
- Business Development - He/she must have an innate passion for business development and act as an internal champion for the technology products. Experience driving and leading program and product execution including the technical capability to guide strategically and manage resources.
- Business Acumen – Business acumen, to gauge not just what can be done but to know what can be profitable, is a key requirement for this role. The ability to manage near-term costs/risks with long-term product commercialization is a critical requirement for this position.
- Communication Skills – He/she will be able to effectively communicate, motivate, coach and develop techno-commercial excellence; is skilled at getting individuals, teams, and an entire organization to perform at a higher level and to embrace change.
- Customer Skills – Experience and skill-building relationships, selling to and negotiating with customer executives
- Strategy - This person must be a strategic technology leader; that is, he/she must combine a solid technical foundation with forward-looking strategic skills to effectively develop a strategy to enable Harman to capitalize on emerging technologies including emerging technology trends outside of Harman’s core domain.
- Team Player – Negotiates skillfully to achieve a fair outcome or promote a common cause; communicates a compelling vision and is committed to what needs to be done; inspires others; is considerate and can resolve conflict; understands what motivates different people.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Business Administration preferred; or Bachelor’s Degree and at least 15 years of related progressive leadership experience.
- English: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. German as second language preferred.
- Willingness to travel 30%-40% of the time
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)