Junior Designer, Industrial DesignNew York, New York, United States Job ID: 116078 Additional locations: None
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Additional Work Location(s) ​​​​​:None
HARMAN has always placed great value on the design and execution of its products and services. In 2018, the three internal design groups across the 4 divisions were reorganized into a single agency-model design organization. This design organization is named “Huemen”. Huemen will continue to deliver and lead the world-class design across all of HARMAN in the disciplines of Industrial Design (ID), User Interface and User Experience (UI/UX), as well Marketing Services and Future Experiences in Auto and Home.
Huemen is looking for an adventurous, passionate, and accomplished individual with world class design sensibility to join our client facing Industrial Design department in our New York office. The ideal candidate for the Junior ID position will primarily be a pivotal supporting role in creating meaningful solutions for our clients with superlative design execution. The individual should have solid market knowledge with the ability to conduct research, construct competitor analysis charts in order to correctly identify opportunities and convince clients. The successive applicant would be expected to work closely within the design team and be proactive in contributing design insights all with the clear goal of enhancing Huemen’s design philosophies and striving to exceed customer expectations.
The Junior ID should be adept at ideation and concept generation with the ability to communicate ideas clearly and efficiently. A proactive mindset with boundless creativity are desirable design character traits. A deep understanding of end user scenarios with the generation of related case studies is required, together with solid understanding of manufacturing techniques, materials, together with a clear understanding of branding. The Junior ID will be an essential piece of the design team and will be expected to collaborate closely with Business Development, UIUX Design and Marketing Services.
- Inspire and cultivate a creative culture through collaboration.
- Responsible for maintaining quality of work and timely delivery of project assets.
- Conduct design brainstorming sessions and support quickly coming up with concepts in 2D and/or 3D.
- Develop detailed product design specifications and CMF documents through clear presentations.
- Support and develop Industrial Design and design language guidelines for Huemen clients.
- Assist Industrial Design across multiple brands and deliver compelling presentations.
- Envision and deliver innovative product concepts.
- Participate in user research activities, trend analysis and competitor discovery.
- Strive to support in evolving clients future brand design language strategy.
- Work on innovative and trend defining product concepts in collaboration with our multi-disciplinary creative team.
- Represent and help support Huemen Design across various departments and divisions internally at Harman as well as externally.
- 1+ years of experience in the field of product- and industrial design and brand development
- Good knowledge and understanding of all phases of the design process from trend exploration, user research, design inspiration implementation and design strategy to concept development and execution.
- Must have a solid understanding and desire to keep up to date with innovation trends, industry trends, and design trends with a specific focus on consumer electronics.
- Excellent 2D and 3D skills: a firm grasp of Adobe Creative Suite and 3D software such as Rhinoceros and Keyshot for rendering.
- Ability to rapidly generate visual and physical definitions of new products that clearly convey key attributed of function and layout.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of material cost and finishes, manufacturing processes, tooling methods and cost considerations.
- Excellent verbal, written, and visual communication and presentation skills.
- Driven and proactive self-starter - taking on a task without much context and shaping definition to it through supporting it with a strong design story.
- The ability to work seamlessly with a team and leaders across multiple functions.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in product/industrial design.
- Fluent in English. Additional language is a plus.
- Willingness to work in the New York, NY office
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)