Director, Business Development - HuemenNew York, New York, United States Job ID: 116847 Additional locations: None
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Additional Work Location(s) ​​​​​:None
A Career at HARMAN
We are ONE HARMAN. We are greater than the sum of our divisions or brands. We proudly talk about our many iconic brands and describe how our technologies are transforming the car, the workplace and everywhere in between. We work hard. We create useful, playful, beautiful things. We strive for excellence and we aim to win as a team. No matter the position, every employee at HARMAN is expected to demonstrate our core competencies: leadership, change-orientation, collaboration, judgment and a results-driven mindset. At HARMAN, we expect brilliance. You can expect a career full of brilliant possibilities.
HARMAN has always placed great value on the design and execution of its products and services. In 2018, the three internal design groups across the 4 divisions were reorganized into a single agency-model design organization. This design organization is named “Huemen”. Huemen will continue to deliver and lead the world-class design across all of HARMAN in the disciplines of Industrial Design (ID), User Interface and User Experience (UI/UX), as well Marketing Services and Future Experiences in Auto and Home.
Huemen is seeking a business development expert with 5-10 years of relevant experience to be an integral part of Huemen Design organization. We are looking for a business development lead dedicated to advance business development and sales in tangible and quantifiable measurement. The ideal candidate is a proven hunter who is highly skilled at opening high-level conversations, qualifying opportunities, identifying the decision makers, and closing the deal in a timely manner. This position requires meeting aggressive targets and understanding how to execute on growth goals. This position will work in close collaboration with their peers and be focused on external clients.
The person who fills this role will work closely and collaboratively with our team of designers and business leaders globally. This role will be responsible to balance the internal needs for new and continued business for Huemen as a for-profit center and the needs of the clients; this role will be measured in quantifiable measurement of bookings and revenue. The ideal candidate will know the competitive landscape of the design agency industry as well as bring experience and contacts into potential clients right out the gate. We are looking for someone to jump in right away.
At this time there is no intent for this role to have direct or indirect reports.
The business development lead will be responsible for executing a business development strategy to develop and grow external Huemen client relationships. The business development lead will work closely Huemen leaders, external clients, and project teams to execute the following:
- Relationship Building: You will be responsible to identify, establish, build and nurture relationships with external client partners at the required, appropriate decision maker level.
- Value Proposition: You will be required to insure the Huemen value proposition is regularly and clearly communicated via mass communications and marketing through to direct one-on-one communications with clients.
- Lead Generation: In partnership with the larger Huemen team, you will proactively research, identify and qualify new leads. You will drive communications with potential clients to communicate Huemen’s process and capabilities. You will be responsible for helping to craft a strategic outlook and ongoing prospect list for targeted conversations and opportunities for engagement.
- Lead Reception: You will be responsible to receive and manage external leads as they organically come in-bound.
- Business Development Strategy: In collaboration with leadership and the rest of the project team leaders, you will build and maintain momentum around and oversee execution of a plan that supports the broader strategic goals of Huemen. Forecasting and developing roadmaps is key.
- Lead Conversations to the Negotiations and Business Closure Phase: Collaborate with all stakeholders to develop the appropriate project scope, pricing, and timing during the business development process according to the client’s needs and Huemen’s capabilities and capacity. Develop and coordinate negotiations and closure.
- Opportunity Framing: You will contribute to and assist in generating well-coordinated and compelling client project proposals, presentations and meetings, which not only address client needs, but also clearly articulate the fundamental design challenge and innovation opportunity to realize the Huemen mission statement. You will also be expected to be an active participant in developing new methods for engaging collaboratively with clients in an entrepreneurial way. We expect you to not only understand and communicate Huemen’s value proposition, but to also look for novel opportunities in order to advance our thinking.
- Communication: You will be responsible for improving and maintaining known performance indicators (KPI) visibility, forecasting, and transparency in our pipeline and business development process. This involves ensuring regular updates on in-process and emerging leads and clarity around accountability for moving the process forward.
- Ongoing Client Relationship: You will be responsible to stay involved in client relations from conversion and through the project execution as a point person and consistent thread from start/lead generation to finish/delivery.
- Network development: Working with our leadership team, you will identify external opportunities to showcase Huemen and create meaningful connections to potential clients and to reinforce client relationships.
- This role will be measured by incremental sales bookings and annual sales revenue.
- 3-8 years of relevant experience in business development, strategic client relationships, account management, and/or product development within design consulting industry or other professional consulting firms.
- An understanding of the design and product development process.
- A successful process, track record, and evidence of proactive lead generation and deal closure.
- Experience selling high-end services.
- Exceptional communication skills (oral and written) at all levels of organizations, both within clients, teams, and partner organizations is required.
- A passion for great design is a must.
- Proactive, intuitive, engaging, entrepreneurial, self-motivated, and collaborative are important traits to be successful.
- Excellent organization skills including time management, exceptional follow-up, and tracking progress.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- UX, UI and ID design agency sales experience.
- A design focused degree and/or MBA are a plus.
- Domestic and Global travel (35-50%)
- Employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
HARMAN (harman.com) designs and engineers connected products and solutions for automakers, consumers, and enterprises worldwide, including connected car systems, audio and visual products, enterprise automation solutions; and services supporting the Internet of Things. With leading brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL®, Lexicon®, Mark Levinson® and Revel®, HARMAN is admired by audiophiles, musicians and the entertainment venues where they perform around the world. More than 25 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with HARMAN audio and connected car systems. Our software services power billions of mobile devices and systems that are connected, integrated and secure across all platforms, from work and home to car and mobile. HARMAN has a workforce of approximately 30,000 people across the Americas, Europe, and Asia. In March 2017, HARMAN became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics. HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. Looking for a challenge where your experience is valued? Come see what you can achieve as a leader with HARMAN! (www.harman.com)
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)