Creative Director -Visual Design and Interaction DesignMountain View, California Job ID: 120116
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
About The Role
HARMAN has always placed great value on the design and execution of its products and services. In 2018, the three internal design groups across the 4 divisions were reorganized into a single agency-model design organization. This design organization is named “Huemen”. Huemen will continue to deliver and lead the world-class design across all of HARMAN in the disciplines of Industrial Design, User Interface/Interaction Design, Visual Design, Packaging Design, and User Experience Design, as well Marketing Services and Future Experiences in Auto and Home.
Link to Huemen portfolio page : https://www.behance.net/huemen
Huemen is seeking a Creative Director with 8-10 years of relevant experience, of which 2-3 years leading a team, to be an integral part of Huemen Design organization. The candidate will manage interdisciplinary teams to deliver world class design solutions and will be responsible for creative leadership and quality. She/ he will be building and leading a team that is responsible for designing, developing & productizing holistic experiences grounded in User Centric Design Process. We are looking for a leader who is responsible for integrating solutions from Product Design team and Digital Solution team to create memorable consumer experiences.
The ideal candidate will oversee the daily activities of the cross-studio team located in 3 locations. They will be assigned to multiple projects and be responsible to
1) Lead by example to cultivate an environment which feeds design quality and excellence.
2) Deliver creative design direction and team effectiveness.
3) Nurture and grow client relationships.
We are looking for an active, hands-on leader with the drive and ambition of building a studio to its highest potential. We are looking for someone comfortable with ambiguity and flexible in dealing with change; someone to make sense of these and provide the leadership, of both the teams and the clients, to deliver amazing deigns and ultimately success for all.
She/he will partner with leaders across all design studios and other business units to promote and incorporate the Huemen approach and vision within and outside the company.
We are looking for someone that understands best-in-class design and inspires it through the work they do and the team they lead.
Manage and lead team of designers (User Experience, Interface, Interaction Designers and Design Researchers) across 3 US based locations.
- Manage day-to-day operations of a digital design team, including priorities, resource planning, and project success is defined and achieved
- Oversee simultaneous projects from inception to completion – scoping, reviewing project plans, designs, and through to deliverables
- Personally responsible to insure the highest quality of design direction, style and methodology
- You are a constantly growing and learning to provide expert direction to the team, the clients, and as a thought leader to the industry
- Identify and drive process improvements to meet project and team needs
- Monitor and drive your team to best utilize the skillset to exceed client expectations and elevate client engagement
- Participate in recruiting and hiring a strong multidisciplinary design team
- Promote a culture of innovation and teamwork based in professionalism and quality
- Inspire your creative team with the energy, passion, and thought leadership to build a long-term healthy organization
- Mentor and grow the careers of your direct reports
- Participate in the creative role of business development to establish and nurture good client working relationships in new business development activities through to account leadership
- Effectively communicate, motivate, coach and develop design excellence
- Personally lead and take full responsibility for one top-tier client
- Establish credibility throughout the organization as an effective leader
- Maintains a presence in the design industry and local design community by writing articles, contributing to publications, speaking at conferences, and/or sitting on panels
- Evangelize our design practice to internal and external stakeholders from designers to executive leadership
- Proven experience managing, training and mentoring designers
- Proven experience in the fields of design for VR/AR, AI, Voice, Data Visualization, Retail, Healthcare, and/or Hospitality
- Strong understanding of Human Centered Design
- Recent experience launching complex digital products
- Should be able to analyze and understand new domains quickly, become the “timely expert”
- Ability to maintain context on multiple assignments to contribute effectively on all
- Ability to spearhead stakeholder discussions
- Function as team's advocate, to the engineering, analytics, sales and project management teams
- Strong leadership and people management skills
- Strong Knowledge of the design process and program management
- Ability to negotiate and coordinate across multiple groups and disciplines
- 8-10 years relevant experience in digital design, with 2-3 years’ experience in a creative, project and people management role.
- B.S. degree in relevant field
- Portfolio samples of recent work
- Exposure to working across time zone and locations is preferred.
- Strong understanding of contemporary technology platforms and emerging technologies
- Automotive HMI design and/or Design for/in Mobility experience is preferred
- Consulting experience strongly preferred
The role is based out of our Mountain View Studio.
- Willingness to travel 35% of the time
- Relocation is required for remote candidates
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)