Senior Manager Intellectual Property and Technology Transaction Counsel (m/f/d)Karlsbad, Germany Job ID: 117347
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
- Serves as Technology & IP counsel on European matters including other global businesses such as procurement.
- Issue spotting areas of IP protection and collaborating with subject matter experts on the IP team (e.g., patents/trademarks/OSS/litigation) on European and global projects and programs when needed.
- Patent prosecution overseeing parts of Harman’s global patent portfolio including following filing, prosecution and maintenance strategies defined by global patent team and instructing outside counsel in line with defined strategies
- Interface directly with the inventor community within Harman to advise and counsel on global best practices for drafting invention disclosures and mining for new inventions that add value to Harman’s patent portfolio
- Train the inventor community on Harman’s global patent processes in addition to other IP topics such as open source
- Independently or collaboratively with Division Counsel, Procurement Counsel, or other IP colleagues, review, draft and negotiate all types of IP agreements including intellectual property licenses (including copyright, patent and trademark licenses); technology licenses and services agreements; joint development, collaboration and other strategic alliance agreements; and OEM sales agreements.
- Support IP due diligence and negotiating, reviewing and drafting technology agreements.
- Support product reviews to ensure protection of the company’s key IP and compliance with third party licensing terms.
- Support IP litigation counsel on litigation, claim letters, clearance, and enforcement requests.
- Support open source counsel on OSS training, compliance and audits.
- Support negotiating and drafting inventor compensation agreements under the German inventor compensation laws.
- Managing outside counsel.
- At least 4-5 years of experience, preferably with experience working in industry as an in-house attorney
- Law degree from a reputable school
- Member of at least one bar in Europe
- Knowledge of the German Inventor laws (ArbEG)
- Proficient knowledge and understanding of all Intellectual Property laws (patents, trademarks, copyright, trade secrets)
- Transactional experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating agreements with varying levels of complexity
- Experience managing a patent portfolio (qualification as patent attorney is not required)
- Experience advising and counseling on open source software and technology standards a plus
- Ability to periodically travel as needed by the business
- Experience with litigation is a plus
- Very good organizational skills and attention to detail, including the ability to prioritize and multi-task and keep everything going smoothly without dropping any balls
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentations to senior business, technical and legal personnel
- Be part of an international team working with the world's largest automotive manufacturers
- Attractive salary package based on IG Metall Tarif Baden Wurttemberg
- Employer contribution to company pension plan
- Extensive technical trainings (e.g in our HARMAN University)
- Career development opportunities
- A great package of additional benefits such as
- flexible working time
- allowance for public transportation
- language courses
- sportevents like B2Run or skiing trips
- daily canteen allowances
- employee discounts on our HARMAN (JBL, AKG, HARMAN Kardon) and Samsung products
- and much more...
The position is vacant in Karlsbad near Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg.
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)