System Application Engineer (m/f/d)Garching bei München, Germany, Karlsbad, Germany Job ID: R-16317-2022
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
The System Application Engineer is responsible for supervision and configuration of the basic software layers (hypervisor, HW/SW-drivers, low-level frameworks and packages) and analysis of overall system behavior.
What You Will Do:
- Analysis and assessment of customer requirements (RFC, RFI, RFQ) with focus on the basic system software packages and overall (multi-OS partition) system behavior
- Creation of detailed specifications and evaluation of overall system and software design concepts in close cooperation with CoCs, 3rd party suppliers and customer
- Supervision, coordination and alignment of efforts and doings with Harman platforms and 3rd parties
- Configuration, development, and maintenance of embedded Linux and Android systems with/without hypervisor techniques
- Driving system bring-ups and system integration of multiple OS partitions and low-level software stacks
- Overall system monitoring, profiling, and optimization with respect to startup/boot time, CPU load and memory bandwidth
- Analysis of overall system trouble tickets, actively steering bug fixing by technical coordination of all involved parties with multiple dependencies
- Development, integration, and maintenance of low-level (cross-partition) Linux/Android SW components
- Review of SW design and source code
- Apply state-of-the-art methods to ensure and optimize SW quality
- Status reporting towards SW project lead and management
- Ensuring compliance to Harman internal and SW engineering processes required by the customer (e.g. Automotive SPICE) and methods (e.g. SAFe)
What You Need:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or other relevant (IT connected) specializations
- At least 5 years of professional experience in software development with focus on embedded Linux and Android systems
- Professional skills in C/C++ and shell programming, Python is beneficial
- Proficient in Linux and Android system programming and low-level debugging
- Sound knowledge regarding set up of embedded Linux distributions using Open Embedded / Yocto and AOSP based Android systems
- Excellent understanding of Linux/Android architecture, system startup, and configuration
- Good understanding of embedded hardware and software architectures
- Proficient with Git, Subversion, Make, and CMake
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Self-driven, autonomous and systematic way of working
- Experience in technical coordination of engineering teams
- Excellent communication and technical presentation skills
- Fluent English skills in word and writing
What is Nice to Have:
- Virtualization techniques (hypervisors, VMware, qemu) in combination with Linux/Android
- Profound understanding in Linux/Android driver development: ability to implement new components and maintain existing code
- Deep understanding of Chain of trust, Trusted Execution
- Knowledge in Ethernet, TCP/IP networking, IPC mechanisms (DBUS, etc.)
- Knowledge in agile software development methods (SCRUM)
What We Offer:
- HARMAN offers a diverse and inclusive work environment that fosters and encourages career development opportunities, professional training and competitive market base compensation
- You will also receive top-notch employee discounts on Harman’s Consumer Audio (JBL, AKG, HARMAN Kardon) and Samsung products
- Flexible work schedule with a culture encouraging work life integration and collaboration in a global friendly working atmosphere and good work-life-balance
- Professional development opportunities through HARMAN University’s business and leadership academies which also includes extensive technical trainings
- Internal talent management leadership acceleration programs
- “Be Brilliant” employee recognition and rewards program
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.