Senior Principal Engineer (m/f/d) Functional Safety (129192)Garching bei München, Germany Job ID: 129192
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
The Senior Principal Engineer (m/f/d) Functional Safety will be responsible for executing safety engineering and management activities for the assigned platform or customer application projects related to HARMAN automotive products ADAS, Car Audio, Digital Cockpit, and Telematics. The position holder ensures the availability of deliverables in time and at the appropriate quality. The role will have responsibilities for oversight and introducing best practices for functional safety architectures in System SW and HW in close collaboration with the respective architects of the product leading business unit.
The Senior Principal Engineer (m/f/d) Functional Safety is also responsible for initiating, driving, and tracking the continuous improvement activities in the global functional safety team to achieve the best safety solutions in class ensuring the incorporation of constant learning from project execution with Silicon suppliers and customer internal and external.
As a manager, the position holder is also responsible for conducting performance reviews, career planning, and guide assigned team members.
- Assess, break down, review, and document functional safety requirements with the customer and other engineering disciplines for the supplier
- Align the architecture for System, SW, and HW to meet the functional safety requirements with the respective architects from the business units ADAS, Car Audio, Digital Cockpit, and Telematics
- Determine the safety performance and execute safety analysis for the target architecture
- Derive and align the necessary verification and validation activities with the business units and central test teams or supplier
- Consult internal and external customer for best fitting architecture considering HW & development cost targets while fulfilling the safety requirements
- Conduct the safety management of platform and application projects and prepare and release functional safety status before development gates
- Execute and track safety work products in assigned projects to achieve targets according to the goals set for time, cost, and quality; in case of deviations they will drive escalations at different levels (internally and/or externally) and track to closure
- Assess HARMAN automotive products at different development stages during the product lifecycle at peer-to-peer review
- Ensure the alignment of functional safety needs with the cyber-security manager
- Ensure a systematic governance mechanism is in place; project issues are found and resolved on time by applying a systematic monitoring and tracking mechanism
- Drive, lead, and further the HARMAN business processes versus new global Safety standards
- Contribute to the continuous improvement model-based engineering workflow incorporating saleable safety mechanism for reuse in various application projects
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent
- 10+ years related technical experience in automotive system architecture SW and HW development or similar industries
- extensive experience in functional safety management & engineering
- Mature experience in building and maintaining customer and supplier relationships
- Proven, strong technical leading skills with the internal organization and customer
- A proven team player can effectively work in a global environment with all levels of a global matrixed organization
- Proven technical expertise in the area of functional safety (ISO26262, ISO21448, ISO61508)
- Understanding of cybersecurity requirements
- Clear and strategic thinker; proven experience in translating strategies into actionable plans
- Capable of handling multiples projects/initiatives simultaneously and executing to completion
- Strong experiences in model-based development and related tools
- Deep knowledge in execution of System/SW/ HW analysis for functional safety
- Deep knowledge in quantitative safety analysis like FTA, FMEDA
- Drive for results, team player, change orientation, customer focus, and self-awareness
- Excellent communication, presentation & interpersonal skills
- Strong negotiation skills and assertiveness
- Be part of an international team working with the world's largest automotive manufacturers
- Attractive salary package based on Metall & Elektro Tarif Baden Wurttemberg
- Employer contribution to a company pension plan
- Extensive technical training (e.g in our HARMAN University)
- Career development opportunities
- A great package of additional benefits such as
- flexible working time
- allowance for public transportation
- language courses
- sports events like B2Run or a skiing trip
- daily canteen allowances
- employee discounts on our HARMAN (JBL, AKG, HARMAN Kardon) and Samsung products, and much more...
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.