Senior Principal Engineer AI / Senior AI Architect (m/f/d)Garching bei München, Germany Job ID: R-19646-2022
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
About the Job
You are a passionate AI professional, who is enthusiastic about automotive electronics and wants to define the future vehicle in-cabin user experience?
Join our Automotive AI Lab as Senior Principal Engineer AI / Senior AI Architect. You will lead a team of specialists for embedded ML, AI/ML Frameworks, and MLOps. You and your team will design and implement predictive processing load management solutions for automotive ECUs. You will design and implement solutions for performance-optimized embedded model deployment and guide your peer teams in model optimization for our personalized sound, mixed reality, comfort, and security solutions. You will own the ML development workflow and run and expand our MLOps infrastructure.
What You Will Do
- Team lead and lead architect of the AI System and Core team
- Design and develop optimized embedded model deployment solutions for multiple SoC platforms and train/guide your peer teams in target-specific model optimization
- Develop system load analytics and predictive load management solutions for embedded systems’ performance optimization
- Deploy and maintain embedded ML frameworks in DevOps and MLOps workflows
- Design and develop system and software architecture for concurrent model deployment with your peer teams
- Run and expand the division-wide MLOps platform for global data collection, data management, cloud and on-premise model training and validation
- Advise and inspire multidisciplinary AI teams on architecture, model deployment and optimization, ML frameworks, and workflow best practices
- Keep pace with AI/ML technology advancements in automotive, adjacent areas, and academia; guide your team and peers; run feasibility studies and PoCs; business analyses
What You Need
- Master’s degree in machine learning or comparable practical experience
- 8 years of industry experice with 5 years of applied AI/ML experience
- 3 years experience leading a technical team
- Demonstrated experience in Machine Learning, Deep Learning, and advanced Predictive Modeling techniques. Statistical Model Development and embedded deployment
- Expert skills in software architecture and good understanding of SoC architectures incl. AI accelerators (NPU, GPU, DSP)
- Relevant practical experience with selected AI tech stacks, tool chains, data collection and simulation (e.g. PyTorch, Kafka, Apache Spark, Python)
- Automotive domain know-how in Cockpit, Audio, ADAS, Connectivity, Cybersecurity
- Practical experience in automotive AI/ML application development and their efficient deployment
- Demonstrated experience in usage and implementation of MLOps workflows, specifically in Data Management and respective tools/platforms (e.g. DataBricks, SageMaker, Kafka, Apache Spark) and in global data privacy regulations and their implementation in the AI/ML workflow
- Project management experience in a production environment
What Makes You Eligible
- Willingness to travel up to 10%, domestic and international travel
What We Offer
- HARMAN offers a diverse and inclusive work environment that fosters and encourages career development opportunities, professional training and competitive market base compensation
- Hybrid work conditions
- You will also receive top-notch employee discounts on Harman’s Consumer Audio (JBL, AKG, HARMAN Kardon) and Samsung products
- Flexible work schedule with a culture encouraging work life integration and collaboration in a global friendly working atmosphere and good work-life-balance
- Attractive salary package based on the Metall & Elektro Tarif Baden Wurttemberg and an Employer contribution towards a company pension plan
- Professional development opportunities through HARMAN University’s business and leadership academies which also includes extensive technical trainings
- Internal talent management leadership acceleration programs
- “Be Brilliant” employee recognition and rewards program
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.