Sr Manager, Product Management (Cloud, IoT, Telematics)Farmington Hills, Michigan, Vernon Hills, Illinois Job ID: 129190 Additional locations: Farmington Hills; Vernon Hills
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Additional Work Location(s) ​​​​​:Farmington Hills; Vernon Hills
About the Role
Harman’s IGNITE is an end-to-end cloud solution that allows automakers to easily introduce a range of connected car services. Harman IGNITE solution is deployed globally to automotive OEMs and wireless carriers. Organizationally the IGNITE team is divided into two groups: Product Development, and Customer Delivery. The Product Development organization is tasked with delivering a feature-rich platform that will be leveraged by multiple customers. Harman is looking for strong Product Management leaders to head individual Ignite Product lines. These are critical positions as ensuring successful strategy, relevance and differentiation will be crucial in ensuring IGNITE’s continued market success.
We are looking for a Senior Product Manager for our industry-leading Smart Auto Services business which provides connected automotive services and experience to end-users through embedded and aftermarket solutions. We are looking for a driven Sr. Product Manager who is experienced in the automotive or software domain is an inherent leader, and is passionate about building solid automotive products that impact not only our OEM customers but also the end-users.
Hands-on, opinionated self-starters that bring with them their previous years of product experience will thrive as a successful PM at Harman. You will be joining a dynamic team in a fast-paced environment, and driving cross-functional groups to strategize, plan, implement, and release products that deliver the company’s vision.
This Senior Product Manager will report to the Director of Product Management – Ignite Software Delivery Platform. The Senior Product Manager will be completely responsible for 2-3 Ignite Product Lines.
What You Will Do
- Generate and convey Smart Auto Service product vision and roadmap (Cloud, Services, Android, Telematics client)
- Owns the product vision document and the product definition
- Owns the overall success/failure of the product strategy
- Works with Sales and Marketing to define revenue path for the Product Area
- Performs competitive analysis
- Defines the business case
- Owns the definition of features and the Feature Specification Documents
- Responsible for interfacing with the customer for clarification of requirements and approval of features
- Works with System Architects to determine system use cases
- Works with UX design teams to ensure great end-user experiences
- Reviews feature decompositions and work estimates
- Prioritizes features and works with Program Manager and Scrum Master to define release plan
- Approves release content and functionality
- Direct and clearly convey product strategy, objectives, features, requirements, use cases to stakeholders
What You Need:
- 12+ years of experience, out of which at least 5 years as a Product Manager in software or automotive space
- Successfully launched cloud and mobile products
- Proven ability to execute and deliver
- MBA from top-tier business school preferred
- Built product requirements, roadmaps, and business cases
- Good at market sizing, competitive analysis, product-market-fit analysis
- Solid understanding of UX, user traction, KPIs, data-driven design
- BS in Computer Science or related field required
- Proficient in cloud technologies (AWS, Azure or otherwise)
What is Nice to Have
- Experience working in the IoT or Automotive market
- Deep understanding of the automotive telematics and infotainment space including platforms and onboard and offboard applications
- Deep expertise in IoT platforms and associated core functions such as User Management, Device management, asset management, subscription management, real-time data streaming platforms, and associated frameworks/components
- Thorough knowledge of IaaS and PaaS services provided by cloud providers such as AWS, Azure, Alibaba
- Experience working with Agile methodologies
What Makes You Eligible
- Willingness to travel (up to 20%) whenever the business need arises
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
- Be willing to work out of a Harman office building in Vernon Hills, IL, or Novi, MI
What We Offer
- Access to employee discounts on world-class HARMAN products (JBL, HARMAN Kardon, AKG, etc.)
- Extensive training opportunities through our own HARMAN University
- Competitive wellness benefits
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Access to HARMAN Campus Fitness Center and Cafeteria (MI locations)
- An inclusive and diverse work environment that fosters and encourages professional and personal development
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.