Software Engineer, Linux C/C++ - SeniorCambridge, United Kingdom Job ID: R-15333-2022
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
About the role
HARMAN’s Luxury Audio Group consists of a portfolio of iconic audio brands including JBL Synthesis, Mark Levinson, Arcam, Lexicon, and Revel.
As Senior Software Engineer within the Luxury Audio Group, you will be joining our team of world-class engineers who share an extraordinary passion for impeccable sound and dedication to raising the bar for high-end audio.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to work on new and existing high-end audio products across this portfolio with a focus on Arcam and JBL products. You’ll work closely with product managers, architects, hardware engineers, third-party partners as well as other developers across the entire product lifecycle from concept to release.
You will report to the Principal Software Engineer.
What You Will Do
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team to design, code, debug, document, and release embedded Linux software for new and existing product designs.
- Contribute to (with the opportunity to define and lead), the sprint planning process for multiple concurrent projects.
- As Senior Software Engineer, you will be a major contributor to the continuous improvement of our new and existing codebases as well as shaping our software development lifecycle.
- Use your extensive software development skills to build high-performance, reusable, and well-documented systems in C and C++.
- Debug using Linux tools (e.g., gdb) but also debug at the driver and hardware-level as needed.
- Work closely with the local team, the wider business unit in Northridge, CA as well as a range of third-party software and service partners across the globe.
- Work with peer developers and HARMAN infrastructure teams to build and maintain code repositories, code management tools, and CI/CD pipelines.
- Provide advice to the Customer Support Team on technical matters to help resolve customer issues.
What You Need
- An HND or Degree in a relevant engineering subject or equivalent experience gained in a commercial setting.
- A minimum of 4 years of hands-on embedded Linux development in C and modern C++ in resource-constrained embedded systems preferably in an agile/scrum environment
- Comprehensive code management tools (git workflows) and CI/CD pipelines, Linux command-line skills, scripting, and makefiles.
- Internet APIs and technologies such as JSON, XML, HTTP, and REST.
- Ability to use modern software IDEs (e.g., Eclipse) and workflow tools including git, Jira, and Confluence.
What is Nice to Have
- Strong interest in audio and/or a background in consumer electronics.
- Familiarity with Linux configuration tools such as Yocto.
- Familiarity with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, serial protocols and Ethernet.
- UI framework knowledge e.g., Qt, gtk.
- Other embedded OS environments e.g., FreeRTOS and bare metal on ARM or DSP MCUs.
What Makes You Eligible
- Be willing to travel up to 5%, domestic and international travel.
- Be willing to work in our offices in Cambridge, UK
- HARMAN will only be able to employ those who have the right to work in the UK. We are unable to offer visa / sponsorship support for this role.
What We Offer:
- Opportunity to collaborate with talented teams across the world.
- An Inclusive and diverse work environment that fosters and encourages career development opportunities.
- Flexible work schedule with a culture encouraging a healthy work-life balance.
- On-site opportunities to focus on personal well-being and development provided by our Wellness Committee, Volunteer Committee, and Harman Women’s Network.
- Professional development opportunities through HARMAN University’s business and leadership academies and extensive course catalog.
- The opportunity to work on complex problems and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Access to employee discounts on world-class HARMAN audio products including JBL and Harman/Kardon.
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.