Software Development Director - Telematics BU RomaniaBucharest, Romania Job ID: 123882
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Lead and manage the BU Telematics (TBU) software development organization in Romania so that it realizes its potential and delivers in excellence in the full portfolio of the TBU responsibilities in software and system integration scope, within the context of the operation and strategic development of Harman International Romania. The leader is expected to have excellent people management skills with multicultural expertise and should be knowledgeable with established software development processes and methods, including CMMI and agile to drive and lead the development team in connectivity technology domain.
The director of BU Telematics (TBU) software development Romania manages coordinates and ensures delivery of all TBU projects under his leadership, on time, budget, quality and specs.
All line managers of the TBU Romania organization are directly reporting into this role.
The total number of employees at TBU Romania is 70-90.
- Central point of contact for all BU Telematics (TBU) software development related activities/deliveries in Romania
- Will have solid line reporting towards Senior Director BU Telematics and dotted line reporting towards Managing Director of the location.
- Interacts closely with Harman’s and in particular with TBU global teams in other geographies including Germany and India development center.
- Enables and develops the teams towards efficient work with the internal customers and organizations
- Manages daily operations of department and resolves problems escalated to the manager level
- Leads by example, motivates and manages the teams working on different projects by objectives
- Defines, drives and monitors activities within the organization to achieve maximum synergies and efficiency
- Contributes to the formation of strategy and plans at department level
- Ensures delivery of the department’s contribution to Harman International Romania strategic plans
- Appropriate and effective management of the departmental budget
- Ensures effective representation of the department’s interest within and outside of Harman International Romania
- Has the ability to innovate (as necessary) towards using new processes and methods to improve efficiency or to react to changing project timing/requirements.
- Acts within a multicultural environment and is point of contact for all stakeholders inside and outside of the BU Telematics organization
- Master Degree in Computer Science, information systems or equivalent experience.
- At least 10-15 years of experience in software engineering and program management, from which at least >5 years’ experience in a senior management position within a multicultural environment
- Demonstrable record of appropriate leadership of engineering teams > 50 employees
- Ability and affinity to understand technical concepts in embedded system environment
- Effectively supervising, leading, and delegating tasks and authority
- Excellent knowledge of performance evaluation techniques and key metrics
- Knowledge of data analysis, reporting and budgeting
- Financial acumen to manage budgeting and forecasting
- Experience of effectively managing a matrix organization
- Efficiently meeting deadlines, schedules, and target dates
- Excellent English communication skills both written and verbal
- Good understanding of SW development process standards (ASPICE preferred) and state-of-the-art agile engineering methods (SAFe preferred)
- Experience with automotive OEMs
- Distinct diplomatic and soft skills
- PMI certified PMP
- Good knowledge in software and system integration
- Expertise in working with distributed development teams
What we offer:
- An International team working with the world's largest Automotive manulfacturers
- Access to HARMAN University for extensive technical trainings
- Employee discounts on our HARMAN products (Harman/Kardon, JBL, AKG)
- Meal tickets
- Flexible working hours
- Premium medical subscription
- State of the art office accessible by city transportation
- Fitness discounts
- and much more...
HARMAN (harman.com) designs and engineers connected products and solutions for automakers, consumers, and enterprises worldwide, including connected car systems, audio and visual products, enterprise automation solutions; and services supporting the Internet of Things. With leading brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL®, Lexicon®, Mark Levinson® and Revel®, HARMAN is admired by audiophiles, musicians and the entertainment venues where they perform around the world. More than 25 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with HARMAN audio and connected car systems. Our software services power billions of mobile devices and systems that are connected, integrated and secure across all platforms, from work and home to car and mobile. HARMAN has a workforce of approximately 30,000 people across the Americas, Europe, and Asia. In March 2017, HARMAN became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics. HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. Looking for a challenge where your experience is valued? Come see what you can achieve as a leader with HARMAN! (www.harman.com)
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.