Embedded Software Engineer in HardwareBucharest, Romania Job ID: R-12139-2022
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
About the Role:
As a Hardware BIOS engineer you will focus on low level software design for the production and testing of automotive head units and platforms / infotainment systems / connectivity units with Entry/Medium/Complex microcontrollers and higher density SOC´s.
You are expected to work in a diverse international Hardware/Software development team, working on a broad variety of automotive projects.
You need to have experience in embedded software/hardware development and passion for developing complex projects.
What You Will Do:
- Customize embedded software components (for SOCs and microcontrollers)
- Customize generic PC SW components / routines to control external target hardware under Harman BIOS
- Develop project specific embedded software components and PC-Tools based on the guidelines and in close cooperation with the worldwide Harman BIOS development group
- Read hardware schematics, do trouble-shooting with i.e. Oscilloscope, logic analyzer, debuggers
- Perform basic HW bring up based on Harman BIOS tools together with the HW engineers before the project application SW is available and support the hardware team during the debugging phase
- Develop new components in embedded software
- Support “lessons Learned” Strategies for System Architecture- and Hardware-Teams
- Join customer presentations and Debug Workshops
- Support internal and/or external staff in an international environment on embedded technical topics
What You Need:
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering field related to electronics/embedded design
- Minimum 2 years of experience in software development, coding in C and relevant work experience in embedded systems
- Good understanding of microcontroller and higher density SOC architecture (ARM/ Renesas/ Aurix / Intel)
- Experience with scripting languages like Bash or Python
- Good Knowledge of embedded communication interfaces (UART, I2C, SPI, Ethernet)
- Ability to work in a team
- Good knowledge in spoken and written English
What is Nice to Have:
- Linux software/kernel development experience
- Knowledge of commonly used interfaces in infotainment systems (PCIe, UART, TDM, Video, I2C, I2S, USB, MOST, SDIO …) appreciated
- Experience with hardware debugging and using lab tools
- Familiar with build environments like buildroot and/or yocto
- Familiar with revision control systems like perforce or git
- Experience working in a RTOS
What Makes You Eligible:
- Be willing to travel up to 20%, domestic and international travel
- Be willing to work in an office / home office in Bucharest
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.