System ArchitectBengaluru, India Job ID: 119381 Additional locations: None
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Additional Work Location(s) ​​​​​:None
A Career at HARMAN
We are ONE HARMAN. We are greater than the sum of our divisions or brands. We proudly talk about our many iconic brands and describe how our technologies are transforming the car, the workplace and everywhere in between. We work hard. We create useful, playful, beautiful things. We strive for excellence and we aim to win as a team. No matter the position, every employee at HARMAN is expected to demonstrate our core competencies: leadership, change-orientation, collaboration, judgment, and a results-driven mindset. At HARMAN, we expect brilliance. You can expect a career full of brilliant possibilities.
Position Summary: The Software Architect is responsible for the SW definition and technical excellence of a product across the entire development lifecycle including planning, development, launch, and closure phases of a program. The SPM will be an internal and customer communication path regarding status and escalations. The SPM will also be the primary interface for SW development to other non-engineering internal stakeholders. The responsibility includes not only planning the product development and testing, but actively managing the gating SW deliverables, reporting status against the plan, and leading the resolution of issues that are blocking the team from making progress.
HARMAN is at the forefront of developing new in-vehicle infotainment and connectivity systems that let drivers and passengers are entertained, connected, efficient, and productive while in the car. As such, our systems are leading the industry with exciting innovations in multimedia, connectivity, car-centric applications, navigation, advanced safety, and multi-modal interfaces. This position will be at the center of the development, working closely with our OEM partners, internal and customer engineering teams, and select 3rd parties to define next-generation features and services.
- Develop/Contribute in defining software design strategy
- Identify architectural constraints for the system level based on customer, market, technology and business needs
- Define and create system and overall software architecures
- Drive change and create “Do the right thing” culture
- Help review and specify new requirements based on customer and industry need
- Set KPIs for software deliverables based on what is possible, customer requirements and industry
- Lead KPI tracking\delivery and push products to limits of what is possible
- Participate in design, architectural and code reviews as a software expert
- Watch and montior designated code areas as a technical owner
- Assist software managers and leads with investigations and improvement initiatives
- Prototype and develop solutions to continue learning provide guidance to the team
- Work with product management, system, hardware and sales teams to set memory+CPU budgets for products
- Contribute or lead SW FMEA analysis
- Help communicate with software suppliers to set direction and establish new relationships
- Support Harman procurement in software cost analysis
- Review software bills of material for correctness
- Present technical solutions and architectures to internal and external stakeholders
- Bachelor’s Degree and 10+ years’ experience; Master’s degree preffered
- Strong fundamental knowledge of computer engineering, operating systems and SDLC
- Broad technical background with general knowledge of Bluetooth, WiFi, cellular technology, smartphones, navigation, GPS, tuner, satellite Radio, video, voice recognition, hands-free operation, vehicle bus, advanced safety, cloud-based services, and automotive requirements
- Practical experience in related areas such as system design, hardware/software design, and real-time embedded applications
- Proven technical leadership
- Experience working in the technology industry or automotive industry
- Experience with the use of rapid prototyping tools for software and hardware, electronics, and mechanical design for consumer electronics and future device platforms
- Must have general knowledge of automotive infotainment systems and their applications
- Previous experience in all phases of the software development process (Requirements, Scope, Design/Plan, Develop, Test, and Customer Acceptance.)
- Must be able to articulate vision and influence decision making outcomes with internal stakeholders, external suppliers, and the customer
- Extraordinary oral and written communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively with business and technology leaders.
- Experience managing external and internal vendors/partners
- Exceptional reputation as an innovator based on having created forward-looking research, projects, and award-winning publications
- Must have a "whatever-it-takes" attitude using diplomatic leadership skills within a collaborative teamwork environment to accomplish the necessary results
- Ability to communicate advanced and complex concepts and ideas persuasively and concisely to all levels of the business
- Willingness to travel as required by job demands (approximately 10% of the time)
- Willingness to work in an office in Novi, MI
HARMAN will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.