Principal Engineer - Functional Safety ISO - 26262 (FMEA/HARA/FTA/FMEA)Bengaluru, India Job ID: 122867
HARMAN’s engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you’ll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
What makes a successful Engineer at
HARMAN? Check out the top
traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technical Capability
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
This position is for a principal engineer for functional safety (FuSa) within the Lifestyle Automotive Audio division. Products that will be developed are OEM automotive amplifiers and other similar audio processing products. Products typically consist of a main microcontroller for configuration, communication and control and a DSP processor for audio processing. Position will consist of working as part of the functional safety team for the development of amplifier products. The software development is mainly deeply embedded, written in C. The underlying architecture on the microprocessor is based on RTOS(OSEK/ucos-II) or AUTOSAR.
Supervisory Responsibilities:This position does not have any direct or indirect reports.
The engineer will be responsible for functional and technical safety analysis and design for our car audio products. The engineer must be capable of analyzing safety goals, derive functional safety requirements, and follow other functional safety process steps. The engineer must be able to understand various automotive OEM programs and guide the team for the implementation of functional safety requirements.
- Write and review product safety requirements and characteristics
- Propose solutions for the FuSa requirements in System/product based on ISO 26262 standard
- Develop safety concepts
- Lead, support and maintain the system and design FMEA methodologies
- Ensure requirements traceability, completeness and coverage and plan improvements
- Support project managers in planning of FuSa activities and process conformance
- Assist customers with functional safety and interface specifications
- Experience with efficient and structured FMEA, FTA and HARA processes
- Able to prepare guidelines and standards on functional safety aspects
- Desirable to have the knowledge of AUTOSAR support for FuSa
- Working knowledge and hands on for RTOS based ECU software architecture
- Analyze customer and internal requirements and specifications and translates these into system design
- Participates in internal and customer driven design reviews throughout program supported by local SMEs
- Possesses right problem solving skills
- Identifies product requirement or performance issues. Work with external teams as necessary to resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Communicate with peers inside the Harman group to coordinate with Hardware and software development teams. This includes occasional travel for training or coordination with other groups.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent.
- Minimum 12 years of industry experience for Bachelor or 8 years for Master in embedded system designs, preferably in automotive industry
- Broad knowledge of embedded HW and SW
- 4+ years of experience in system level function safety concepts and architecture
- Working knowledge of embedded operating systems
- Working knowledge in ISO 26262
- Working knowledge of development processes and process models such as CMMI or ASPICE
- Working knowledge on various tools used for FuSa
- Hands on root cause analysis processes
- Strong attention to detail.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills.
- Creative problem-solver capable of creating and reproducing complex System/functional defects.
Preferred Qualifications & Desired Competencies:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent
- Familiarity with audio processing.
- Familiarity with AUTOSAR and its support to FuSa.
- Experience with uC-OSII/OSEK/FreeRTOS or other embedded RTOS and low level driver development
- Experience with System design of ECUs for Automotive OEMs
- Experience with requirement management tools and preferably with IBM Doors
- Willingness to travel 10% of the time.
- Position is in Bangalore, India
HARMAN (harman.com) designs and engineers connected products and solutions for automakers, consumers, and enterprises worldwide, including connected car systems, audio and visual products, enterprise automation solutions; and services supporting the Internet of Things. With leading brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL®, Lexicon®, Mark Levinson® and Revel®, HARMAN is admired by audiophiles, musicians and the entertainment venues where they perform around the world. More than 25 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with HARMAN audio and connected car systems. Our software services power billions of mobile devices and systems that are connected, integrated and secure across all platforms, from work and home to car and mobile. HARMAN has a workforce of approximately 30,000 people across the Americas, Europe, and Asia. In March 2017, HARMAN became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics. HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. Looking for a challenge where your experience is valued? Come see what you can achieve as a leader with HARMAN! (www.harman.com)
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
An entry level role, the degreed Engineer knows and applies basic concepts and techniques of the profession under direct supervision and guidance. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree
A Senior Engineer provides a wider variety of technical support tasks using a combination of advanced engineering principles and techniques. They operate with little guidance/supervision as Subject Matter Experts (SME) in their defined area of specialization. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + 5 years’ experience.
Principal Engineers are recognized as an emerging expert. They lead the conceptualization, design, implementation and testing of technologies, tools, or process while consistently demonstrating technical expertise and ingenuity. They demonstrate the ability to plan, define, and execute projects with no supervision. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 12 years’ experience.
Senior Principal Engineer
Recognized as a technical expert, Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity. They develop and apply advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts, and have broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 16 years’ experience.
A Distinguished Engineer has a strong record of creativity and innovation. They advance engineering principles, theories and concepts, and are recognized as a Company-wide authority in one or more technical areas. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 20 years’ experience.
A Fellow is an industry recognized expert with a significant body of peer reviewed research and journal publications and frequently speaks at conferences. Acts as a HARMAN ambassador. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 25 years’ experience.
A Senior Fellow is the most accomplished of an elite group of engineers, widely recognized as a World renowned expert in their field of expertise. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree + 30 years’ experience.
When faced with challenging projects, I ask the opinion of other engineers, make more mockups and try as many solutions as it takes to find the best one.
I feel like our commitment to excellence drives me to make sure I collaborate with the right people and teams to deliver great results.
I work with some talented and experienced people at HARMAN. They drive me to find better solutions, and working with them helps me grow.
On Demand Technical
Deepen your technology knowledge in Product Security, Android, Python, System, Software, and Hardware Architecture, and System testing.
Transparent career progression with tangible and specific goals to work towards in preparation to meet your ultimate career aspirations
Collaborate with a diverse group of end-to-end prototyping and research engineers, interaction and visual designers, software and hardware developers.
Work with engineers from across the Globe to create world class design and production solutions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our engineers to take pride in their unique character, cultural and work identities and are encouraged to bring this valuable perspective to their work.
Health & Wellness
Local health and wellness initiatives, resources and activities are provided to help you achieve work/life integration and support maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.