Summer Intern Law ClerkFarmington Hills, Michigan Job ID: 120389 Additional locations: None
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
Additional Work Location(s) ​​​​​:None
About the Role
HARMAN’s diverse portfolio of businesses and customers offers interns a great opportunity to gain exposure to a wide range of projects. As a member of our team, your primary role will be to assist members of the Legal Department with tasks relating to all legal aspects of corporate law, including but not limited to Intellectual Property, Contracts, Litigation, general Corporate law, and various support tasks.
At HARMAN, we are inventors of useful, playful, beautiful things. Our vision is to make the life more connected, entertaining, personalized, and productive. Our iconic brands and technologies are transforming the car, the workplace and everywhere in-between. We work hard and accomplish amazing things as a team. This is your opportunity to join our talented professionals as a Summer Law Clerk with the HARMAN Legal Department to work on cutting-edge technologies and cool projects. At HARMAN, you can expect brilliance. We do.
What You Will Do
- Assist internal and external counsel with diligence, research, and negotiation of corporate transactions, automotive supply chain issues, transactional matters, personnel/human resource matters, real estate issues, and contracts, including reviewing a variety of issues and drafting responses and proposals, coordinating commercial issues, drafting and reviewing contracts, risk review, and promptly responding to requests for legal review from all departments.
- Work on all aspects of the litigation process from case inception through case closure, including investigating factual issues pertaining to claims, working closely with business units across the organization to properly defend and/or prosecute matters, assisting with case management and research, supporting internal investigations and studies, preparation of memos summarizing investigations, and other tasks to be determined.
- Support Intellectual Property matters, including preliminary invention review, inventor interviews, communicating with and collecting information from various technology and business leads, communicating with outside counsel to provide feedback, cataloging information relative to German and Austrian inventor compensation laws, and providing various reports.
- Update various legal databases (Anaqua, Serengeti, Novatus, etc.) relative to specific on-going tasks, including but not limited to: invention information, law firm e-billing system, contract management database record creation, and others as needed.
- Provide support for special projects as needed.
- Must be a JD Candidate currently enrolled in a law degree program with excellent academic credentials, with at least one semester completed, at an ABA-accredited institution taking at least one class in the semester prior to the internship program, and returning to school for at least one semester upon completion of the internship program.
- Must be working toward a degree in law, with current course work in the area of law.
- Must be commercially minded and able to view legal issues in light of business priorities.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills, including exceptional negotiating skills, and be able to confidently interact and present information to senior leaders.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and multiple complex projects simultaneously, and work under pressure with keen attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to act decisively; and able to provide quick, concise, and practice advice consistent with Harman business objectives.
- Able to advise and where necessary problem-solve as pro-actively and commercially aggressive as possible
- Possess the ability to interact effectively with other attorneys and employees, senior executives, opposing counsel and outside client personnel.
- Superior ability to analyze complex business and legal issues, exceptional judgment, outstanding interpersonal skills, a teamwork-oriented attitude, strong initiative, and proven ability to effectively juggle competing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate risk and to exercise sound legal judgment.
- Must be team-oriented and have the ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment with a solution-oriented approach to legal issues, strong interpersonal and relationship building skills, and a sense of humor and positive can-do attitude.
What You Need
- Must provide work availability from May 25, 2020 – August 7, 2020, and be able to work 40 hours per week.
- Strongly prefer candidates who live within a commutable distance.
- Must provide own housing and transportation to/from work.
- Must provide proper work authorization.
- Must have a valid drivers’ license and a vehicle, as the candidate may be traveling between two locations.
What is Nice to Have
- Previous experience in the engineering or computer sciences field, or the completion of a degree in engineering or computer sciences strongly preferred.
What Makes You Eligible
- Be willing to work in an office in Novi / Farmington Hills Harman Locations.
- Successfully complete a background investigation and drug screen as a condition of employment
What We Offer
- Access to employee discounts on world-class HARMAN products (JBL, HARMAN Kardon, etc.)
- Real-world work assignments and the opportunity to make an impact on our business
- Opportunity to collaborate with talented teams across the organization
- An inclusive and diverse work environment that fosters and encourages professional and personal development
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)